• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC publishes IR35 reform research

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC publishes IR35 reform research

Article on CUK

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...wide_mark.html

HMRC has found that just 130,000 limited company contractors got hit by IR35 reform.

The finding is just one of many that leading experts on IR35 say must be taken “with a pinch of salt” (Qdos), or almost dismissed for being “questionable” (Bauer & Cottrell).
    130K?!?! Honestly, if HMRC can only come up with that number and think it's right then it's pointless fighting. Pinch of salt and questionable? It's utter tulipe. Not a chance in hell 'only' 130k people were affected. 2.5% of the self employed? There are estimated to be 1.4 million LTD company contractors. No chance only 130k have been affected. Every contractor that has a clue what is going on knows that is absolutely ridiculous. I'd be willing to flip that around and say that only 2.5% HAVEN'T been affected by it at some point in the last two years. Absolute shambles.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

I also wonder the percentage of how many companies are bothering to do IR35 assessments at all.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Article on CUK

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...wide_mark.html

Every contractor that has a clue what is going on knows that is absolutely ridiculous.
      There's your problem right there, most contractors dont have a clue. I was at a large bank in Chester that engaged a lot of contractors. Under pressure from the bank, the agency introduced new procedures that clearly pointed to every on site contractor as being inside due to supervision, direction & control.

In a meeting, 98% of the contractors were clapping like sea lions after the agency made some slight changes around the edges but nothing of substance changed. They thought they were now 'well outside' the clutches of IR35 but were not.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

There's your problem right there, most contractors dont have a clue. I was at a large bank in Chester that engaged a lot of contractors. Under pressure from the bank, the agency introduced new procedures that clearly pointed to every on site contractor as being inside due to supervision, direction & control.

In a meeting, 98% of the contractors were clapping like sea lions after the agency made some slight changes around the edges but nothing of substance changed. They thought they were now 'well outside' the clutches of IR35 but were not.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	28u6b3.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	4248547
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
          I also wonder the percentage of how many companies are bothering to do IR35 assessments at all.
          It's patchy at best.
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Seems like the research methodology used by IFF Ressearch wasn't suitable. They've extrapolated from 300 or so telephone interviews the impact on over a million companies? No regard for margin of error, standard deviation - bread and butter statistics.

Shocking quantiative research. I wonder how much they were paid to balls this up so spectacularly.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

protection by numbers!!
              seems most of my friends are in the same thought process. spend like king

Comment

Working...
              X