• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance Question

Hi

I'm being offered a contract role in an IT consultancy to work with MoD.

They've asked me to do this clearance through a third party site called "tifo" and the application title says "BPSS and MOD SC (Standard)".

Do you know if this is usual SC which I can transfer to my next contract OR is it more of an "internal" check which I can't transfer it to my next contract?

The agent has also told me that the process would take 12 weeks and I can start the role while this is being progressed. However 90% of the steps are already processed and completed in 2 days. Therefore I'm not sure how does it normally take 12 weeks OR am I missing something?

I'm sorry if this is very basic question, but this is the first time I'm processing SC.

Thanks

BPSS is proving who you are, the SC vet is to find out if you can be trusted with classified information.

BPSS will let you on site under supervision, and is quite quick.

SC, if you pass, is the real clearance meaning you don't need supervision and is (potentially) transferable
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      BPSS is proving who you are, the SC vet is to find out if you can be trusted with classified information.

BPSS will let you on site under supervision, and is quite quick.

SC, if you pass, is the real clearance meaning you don't need supervision and is (potentially) transferable
      Thanks for your message.

The application indeed says "BPSS and MOD SC (Standard)".

Does it mean that this application is for both BPSS and SC?

It's a wfh role with occasional travel.

Comment

Like I said - BPSS is a quick ID check to let you start under supervision, SC says you have clearance.

If it clarifies, the ID check is part of the SC vetting. After all, you won't get SC if they can't prove you are who you say you are.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Like I said - BPSS is a quick ID check to let you start under supervision, SC says you have clearance.

If it clarifies, the ID check is part of the SC vetting. After all, you won't get SC if they can't prove you are who you say you are.
          OK thanks. I was confused as I was doing this security check (!) in a 3rd party portal rather than a government website.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete30 View Post

OK thanks. I was confused as I was doing this security check (!) in a 3rd party portal rather than a government website.
            Just like visas and the like other companies can act as middle man so clients don't have to do the leg work.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X