• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lorry Driver Fuel Shortage 2021

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lorry Driver Fuel Shortage 2021

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/pe...nges-status-UK

And?

The fact IR35 is an issue for lorry drivers doesn't show you what you hope it does.

It shows me and HMRC that IR35 was used to keep labour costs artificially low because if you actually look at what a lorry driver does and who the person taking all the obvious financial risk it was the agency / client not the driver.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

And?

The fact IR35 is an issue for lorry drivers doesn't show you what you hope it does.

It shows me and HMRC that IR35 was used to keep labour costs artificially low because if you actually look at what a lorry driver does and who the person taking all the obvious financial risk it was the agency / client not the driver.
      Yep, and to push home that point it's the larger hauliers that are feeling the IR35 pinch.

It was also noted that most don't bother with apprenticeships, so I guess that they were happy to simply poach drivers from each other and when supermarkets started paying better than any of them and the older drivers decided to pack it in or go back to the EU, they were stuffed.

LinkClick.aspx (rha.uk.net)
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Yep, and to push home that point it's the larger hauliers that are feeling the IR35 pinch.

It was also noted that most don't bother with apprenticeships, so I guess that they were happy to simply poach drivers from each other and when supermarkets started paying better than any of them and the older drivers decided to pack it in or go back to the EU, they were stuffed.

LinkClick.aspx (rha.uk.net)
        They still don't get it

For clarity, we welcome legislation that ensures fair and equal tax for all. However, Government most now recognise the repercussions of this...
        Nope, you need to start paying people a fair rate - if that means charging clients more then start charging the clients more or go bankrupt.

And let's be honest, no company has done apprenticeships for the past 10/15 years as it was easier to import skilled labour from (Eastern) Europe.

Comment

And improve working conditions to encourage those would-be apprentices into the business in the first place.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I recall being approached by a drivers group in advance of the legislation wanting me to provide advice on how to manage the reforms i.e. how to stay 'outside' - they weren't happy when I told them as far as I could see the writing was on the wall, these are the types of role that should never have been classed as outside and legitimise the approach from HMRC. I also remember talking to MP's more recently and the consensus was very strongly that 'business' will sort it out (both impacts from Brexit, IR35 etc.) - market forces etc. This is pretty much as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
              I recall being approached by a drivers group in advance of the legislation wanting me to provide advice on how to manage the reforms i.e. how to stay 'outside' - they weren't happy when I told them as far as I could see the writing was on the wall, these are the types of role that should never have been classed as outside and legitimise the approach from HMRC. I also remember talking to MP's more recently and the consensus was very strongly that 'business' will sort it out (both impacts from Brexit, IR35 etc.) - market forces etc. This is pretty much as expected.
              I'm glad to see that your viewpoint on HGV drivers is very much identical to mine.

Last week someone tried to use the fact it's a driver in the "Ready Mixed Concrete v Minister of Pensions" case as an argument for drivers being outside while missing the fact the driver provided the cab and insurance and most agency drivers provided neither. It was painful watching them dig themselves into bigger holes as they didn't understand the actual issues.

Comment

Working...
              X