• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budget Cancelled

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Cancelled

Does this have any implications on the planned IR35 changes?

No
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If general election, I can't see any of the other parties changing the direction of travel from the Treasury.
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
        Does this have any implications on the planned IR35 changes?
        There was some hope that Sajid would delay or cancel the IR35 'reforms' in the budget on 6th November.
        I guess now it seems that any hope has diminished?

No idea when the next budget will be however..

Comment

If there's an election and the result is a strong majority it could mean improvements on the IR35 front. It's not politically possible to do anything to improve it with the current parliament.

Comment

Tories need to go in order to make a change IMO. Lobbying just ins't working and they seem reluctant to change their stance on this.

Whilst I have always been a Tory voter, I feel that they are losing support by trying to push IR35 through.

Comment

The cancellation of the budget certainly has an implication, in that the Finance Act, that was destined to include the IR35 changes, won’t now happen as planned.

Many things could happen; there may be an early election before April, followed by an immediate budget. If so this budget may or may not include the IR35 changes. It’ll depend on who wins, and how far up the list of priorities IR35 sits. Or there may be stand-alone legislation, although that may be unlikely as IR35 won’t be anything like the biggest policy item to be lost as a result of the cancelled budget.

Bottom line - nobody knows jack **** right now.

However some of the private sector organisations that have decided to stop dealing with LtdCos from April have said that this will not change even if the new IR35 rules don’t happen in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
                The cancellation of the budget certainly has an implication, in that the Finance Act, that was destined to include the IR35 changes, won’t now happen as planned.
                The extending of the change to the party making an IR35 decision to the private sector was in Finance Act 2018.

A Budget and Finance Bill/Act now would only have ever postponed or removed that change.

Let's be honest, the policy decision has been made and the IR35 changes in the private sector are inevitable and we are deluding ourselves if we think otherwise.
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Oh, it's certainly happening. I was under the impression further enabling legislation was necessary for it to happen in April 2020 - thanks for correcting me.

Comment

Hmmmmm - after a little digging it appears that the private sector off-payroll rules are in the draft legislation planned for the Finance Bill following the 2019 budget, which has now been cancelled. I've had a quick trawl through the 2018 Finance Act and can see sections covering the loan charge rules but nothing talking about off-payroll working, or similar phrases.

The draft legislation was published on 11 July 2019.

So unless I'm missing something (and it certainly wouldn't be the first time!) further enabling legislation is required, which may or may not be passed in time for the new rules to come into force in April 2020.

Comment

Working...
                    X