• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Liability insurance/sickness when inside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    My email is obtainable by any sensible Google search.

I'm assuming that your comments are largely sarcastic or mocking but for the moment, if you have evidence I'll do you the courtesy of looking it over and think about whether my 40+ years working in tax has been a Matrix like waste of time.
    they are neither sarcastic nor mocking. They are a true record of the activities of the events surrounding my case. I'll contact WTT Consulting then.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      they are neither sarcastic nor mocking. They are a true record of the activities of the events surrounding my case. I'll contact WTT Consulting then.
      Why on earth are we back to your case again?

Webberg, why do you engage him to give a platform for his tedious ramblings?
      Last edited by northernladuk; 16 October 2019, 08:07.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

thus perhaps applying some sort of constraint on HMRC's behaviour. I would also claim that the lack of forceful resistance to IR35 has emboldened HMRC to the point where now the war against IR35 is lost.
        And herein is the issue.

Most of the tax professionals I know, have been saying that Customs and Excise reverse takeover of the Inland Revenue marked the beginning of a culture in which the sledgehammers at dawn crew have the ability to dictate policy in matters of enforcement and powers. This has been resisted by us but it has only been since this crew overplayed their hand with APN, FN, change of time limits and retrospection, that the wider public has been motivated to help. Even now, it's important to realise that our little bubble of contractors, is just that - little. We are making noise, but outside our bubble and despite House of Lords, APPG, TSC and others kicking up a fuss, much has been buried in the Brexit noise.

HMRC has not been emboldened by a lack of resistance but rather we see the inevitable consequence of a department that is out of control and unaccountable.

Finally, it is entirely incorrect terminology to say that the IR35 situation is a "war". This sort of vocabulary encourages the taking of a partisan position and an inability to make a reasonable judgement as to whether what is sought is fair to as many parties as possible.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I'm assuming that your comments are largely sarcastic or mocking but for the moment, if you have evidence I'll do you the courtesy of looking it over and think about whether my 40+ years working in tax has been a Matrix like waste of time.
          mail sent for your attention to [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Why on earth are we back to your case again?

Webberg, why do you engage him to give a platform for his tedious ramblings?
            this is no business of yours, it's about the activities of the establishment and not the legalities of my case.

Comment

And herein is the issue.

Most of the tax professionals I know, have been saying that Customs and Excise reverse takeover of the Inland Revenue marked the beginning of a culture in which the sledgehammers at dawn crew have the ability to dictate policy in matters of enforcement and powers. This has been resisted by us but it has only been since this crew overplayed their hand with APN, FN, change of time limits and retrospection, that the wider public has been motivated to help. Even now, it's important to realise that our little bubble of contractors, is just that - little. We are making noise, but outside our bubble and despite House of Lords, APPG, TSC and others kicking up a fuss, much has been buried in the Brexit noise.

HMRC has not been emboldened by a lack of resistance but rather we see the inevitable consequence of a department that is out of control and unaccountable.

Finally, it is entirely incorrect terminology to say that the IR35 situation is a "war". This sort of vocabulary encourages the taking of a partisan position and an inability to make a reasonable judgement as to whether what is sought is fair to as many parties as possible.
              so, if HMRC is out of control and unaccountable, and most would agree, then should the general public and their representatives not use every means at their disposal to counter their position? You seem ready to condemn me for vociferously fighting my corner. Perhaps the details of the mail I sent you might go a little way to explaining my attitude.

Comment

if HMRC is out of control and unaccountable, and most would agree
                Many, perhaps even most, on this forum might agree. The general public? It would never occur to most to even ask the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
                  Many, perhaps even most, on this forum might agree. The general public? It would never occur to most to even ask the question.
                  perhaps not those on PAYE, but certainly many who are self employed or run their own businesses, or are required to complete the annual self assessment.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with your analysis and observations, however I would contend that this

might have encouraged many more to follow the same line, thus perhaps applying some sort of constraint on HMRC's behaviour. I would also claim that the lack of forceful resistance to IR35 has emboldened HMRC to the point where now the war against IR35 is lost.
                    1. If anyone was going to be encouraged to follow the Winchester line, the fact that they settled with full payment would have provided all the encouragement they needed.

2. If 100,000 contractors had followed the same line it wouldn't have made a bit of difference to HMRC. It's no skin off them if clients have to give holidays to people they've deemed inside. It would have changed nothing.

3. "Forceful" resistance would have done nothing unless you were talking about actual force, in which case it would have put you in prison. The battle on IR35 was lost because A) David Cameron started the Tories on a 'Let's be like Labour' path which still hasn't been reversed, so 'fairness' rather than 'competence and economic soundness' are driving policy B) the BBC and others in the press drive a politics of envy and C) contractors tried too much to argue that it was 'fair' to be outside IR35 when they probably should have been pointing out just how unfair IR35 is, that it is an over-correction, and that IR35 itself (not the enforcement process) needs reformed.

And contractors are missing the boat again. They should be screaming in the press that 'We were promised this wouldn't affect the truly self-employed, and look what your policy is doing!' They've made businesses afraid to hire the truly self-employed....

Comment

this is no business of yours, it's about the activities of the establishment and not the legalities of my case.
                      Which, as usual with your tedious ramblings, has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Another thread ruined.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X