• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to the same PS client as 'Inside IR35' after being 'Outside IR35' before

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Hmmm. Risky.... Not sure I'd be keen.
    You could get insurance - people like QDOS will cover you for things like this i.e. retrospective claims. If I remember correctly few hundred £. For me this would be a no brainer.

Not saying HMRC will do this but who knows. And of course, if they ask client first thing they'll say is "yes its same role, so?"
    Cool thanks, have signed up to Qdos for old contract reviews/insurance etc, probably something I should have done along the way, but yeah its not the destination but the journey.

Comment

Not sure they will cover you retrospectively would they?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Yeah, whatever. Too many things wrong in that post but hey, they've changed the rules, you're following them, you're now paying probably 30% more taxes that you are actually liable for so they're happy. Can't believe they see much point in going backwards myself..
        Maybe, maybe not. I dont know where they plan to focus or what resources they have.

BUT, its hard to defend a position where HMRC have got a bit of paper saying "client says your inside IR35, so why did you declare outside if its the same role?"
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Not sure they will cover you retrospectively would they?
          Yes they will cover for any work pre-April as long as the contract review is ok etc. EVEN if you're staying in a PS role past April and client decides its inside - as I would have been.
          Obviously, you've got to work out the liabilty and buy the right amount of cover (£25K chunks up top £100K I believe).

Of course, past April no chance but it, at least, covers the worry about that. Not ideal I know but when you're choices are on the bench, or stay in PS role I wouldnt go near if there was even a minute risk of getting hoofed in the nuts by HMRC for £50K. Like I said, few £....

This was a few months ago mind. At the time, I thought the insurers werent really thinking it through. After all, as per previous post, how can you defend it when client says your inside and its the same role as last year?
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Yes they will cover for any work pre-April as long as the contract review is ok etc. EVEN if you're staying in a PS role past April and client decides its inside - as I would have been.
            Obviously, you've got to work out the liabilty and buy the right amount of cover (£25K chunks up top £100K I believe).

Of course, past April no chance but it, at least, covers the worry about that. Not ideal I know but when you're choices are on the bench, or stay in PS role I wouldnt go near if there was even a minute risk of getting hoofed in the nuts by HMRC for £50K. Like I said, few £....

This was a few months ago mind. At the time, I thought the insurers werent really thinking it through. After all, as per previous post, how can you defend it when client says your inside and its the same role as last year?
            It's actually very simple. Firstly the decision point has been changed and your client and you have made different assessments of the situation. The client has probably not looked at your contract specifically so made a decision using the suspect and inaccurate ESS tool just to meet the new rules. Previously you made an assessment based on contract reviews and informed opinion. Which one do you suppose is more robust when challenged at tribunal?

Unless of course you previously ignored reality and declared your role to be outside when it wasn't. In which case...

This is also why talk of retrospection in pointless. If HMRC did do that and were defeated on appeal, as would be highly likely, the whole PS/IR35 pack of cards falls down. Why would they risk that?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If the old contract was deemed outside IR35 by a reputable reviewer (e.g. QDOS) with all the written proof that provides, and the new contract is same as the old as far as role requirements goes yet client says it's inside IR35, then as long as you operate as you did to be outside previously (working practices regardless of new contract terms) then should be little to worry about.

Even if the HMRC bogeyman does investigate they (if QDOS et al know their stuff) should find you actually outside regardless of the client's determination. If they do find you inside for the new contract due to rule changes since the old contract then it still looks good as far as any retrospective investigation goes as they can't apply new rules to old contract determination.

That's the theory, may take a while for any feedback on real world investigations to see if it hold up.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Also I wonder if after the PS client 'forcing' the contractor to operate inside IR35 on a catch-all determination whether any tax can be claimed back if a future investigation by HMRC accepts the real work practices and situation was actually outside IR35?

May take a class action lawsuit by those affected to get any movement from HMRC if they apply retrospective actions for their own advantage only.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                X