• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"HMRC will stand by the result given"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am very concerned about all of this. I'm finding it extremely difficult to make sense of it all.

Whats worse is that I'll be starting a new project with a public sector client fairly soon. I'm very tempted to walk away from it..... Why is the government out to make my life difficult!

Comment

You should be concerned if you don't have a good understanding with a gig coming up. With a potential 40% difference in income it would be wise to get all over it, and quickly.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
        But who and how will prove there was fixing of answers?
        "He who asserts must prove" - HMRC are asserting that the answers that the client gave are false. If the answers are false then the person providing the false answers is liable.
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
          Whats worse is that I'll be starting a new project with a public sector client fairly soon. I'm very tempted to walk away from it..... Why is the government out to make my life difficult!
          1/ Because they want you to "walk away from it", precisely - so that their cronies and their consultancies can move in.
          2/ Because they see you as an easy-to-milk cash cow.
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
            "He who asserts must prove" - HMRC are asserting that...(...)
            Oh really?
            I guess you have not heard of APNs and the "guilty by default" principle succesfully introduced by HMRC.
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerbell3 View Post
              Some concerns about the integrity of the tool's output: Only option seems to be to print!
              Ideally, one should be able to email a copy, especially since there is no unique reference/ id and HMRC aren't keeping copies of the result/ transaction.
              This means they could easily dispute the authenticity of the results themselves!
              Don't you have a "save as pdf" option under print in your browser?

Comment

Originally posted by PartOfTheUnion View Post
                So if HMRC are going to stand by the results from the ESS tool, what if some contractors who always assumed they were caught by IR35 and have being paying the PAYE/NI on 'deemed' salary all along are found to be outside iR35 because of their working practises (e.g. Direction & Control absent)? Can they get their PAYE/NI back?
                In theory, you can revisit your tax returns for, I think 7 years back. In reality, chances you will get anything back are zilch.

Plus, would you really want to piss off HMRC that much and give them a reason to scrutinise every penny of your finances going back 20 years

Comment

So, what happens if your PS client reviews your role and determines you are outside IR35?

Will HMRC just accept it or will they investigate the client (one branch of government investigating another......)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You should be concerned if you don't have a good understanding with a gig coming up. With a potential 40% difference in income it would be wise to get all over it, and quickly.
                    I'm really trying.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
                      I'm really trying.
                      Which puts you way ahead of the curve compared to many to be fair so take some solace from that and keep plugging on. It's a proper quagmire at best.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X