• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Locum doctors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Of course the only way that works is if you can ensure different trusts do not compete against each other by raising rates which is why https://jumpshare.com/v/Et8z2DADOzCYGTJDFmHo and explicitly why the following bit

is so important.

Local Collaboration, as yet, has never happened in the NHS.

An example of this is, I have been working on waiting lists initiatives, some trusts will approach me when their list tips 32 weeks (300+ patients) others 40 minutes away will, when their list is 3 weeks (25 patients). The individual circumstances of that service ( private companies circling, "at risk" services, threat of closure) determines the need and the rate.

Jim will have to have a very cunning plan to make it happen now.

Comment

Yes!

Originally posted by LoughriggFell View Post
      Local Collaboration, as yet, has never happened in the NHS.

An example of this is, I have been working on waiting lists initiatives, some trusts will approach me when their list tips 32 weeks (300+ patients) others 40 minutes away will, when their list is 3 weeks (25 patients). The individual circumstances of that service ( private companies circling, "at risk" services, threat of closure) determines the need and the rate.

Jim will have to have a very cunning plan to make it happen now.
      I do agree with you. Patient safety risk first. I'm Sure some key locum contractors will be offered a bespoke solution to stay out of the scope of IR35. Otherwise the NHS will collapse.

Comment

Locum doctors extinct species

Guys, something important to keep in mind, most of the experienced Locum will stop working for at least two months. After this some will take permanent positions and some will be working some hours but they won't be killing them selfs to travel miles , to do nights or weekends; simple math you get payed 50£ , you'll be taking home 25; oh and you are going to say, yeah but it's more than what a trainee gets' correct! But then you need to pay indemnity, training, appraisal etc.
        So nce again, nights? , bank holidays? , last call shift? Neeeh

I am sure NHS will clench their buttocks; but for how long? I am sure they will do their best to state they can survive without agencies and Locums ;

Comment

I think most people on here know that and have known that weekends and holidays are going to be a nightmare for months.

The only thing that matters now is who blinks first - the trusts by increasing payments or the doctors who accept lower pay.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Once again, with the benefits given as trainee doctor you will get almost the same at the end of the year, especially if you are on specific specialities as Oncology. So it doesn't make sense to work as Locum. The principle is " the more you work the more tax you pay"

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I think most people on here know that and have known that weekends and holidays are going to be a nightmare for months.

The only thing that matters now is who blinks first - the trusts by increasing payments or the doctors who accept lower pay.
              Trusts won't blink.

Mate works in the finance department of the local Trust, pointed out to me locums have been taking the piss big time. It's not just locums he rails against, junior doctors and consultants are equally as bad. Reports abuses he finds, nothing gets done.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                Trusts won't blink.

Mate works in the finance department of the local Trust, pointed out to me locums have been taking the piss big time. It's not just locums he rails against, junior doctors and consultants are equally as bad. Reports abuses he finds, nothing gets done.
                You can't generalise! Of course you can have rubbish Locum doctors, working on low rates as well because hospitals won't keep them; but you can also have Locum doctors doing the work for 3 doctors and never leaving the ward until jobs are done. I've been a Locum for quite a while and always working for the same hospitals and always been offered training speciality positions but kept doing Locum work because up till now it worth from money point of view; obviously considering the new situation I will probably accept this time. It's probably difficult for you to accept but sometimes you'll find Locum doctors highly skilled within certain specialities , compared to a trainee.

Comment

Main problem will be when trusts will put pressure on their trainee doctors. At this moment I am filing the gap as Locum for a trainee position, will be unable to remain with the trust because its faraway from my home though they have offered. I've given a fair notice but they are unable to fill in the position so my colleagues will be in trouble. And unfortunately I am not the only one leaving the trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Moumunne View Post
                    Guys, something important to keep in mind, most of the experienced Locum will stop working for at least two months. After this some will take permanent positions and some will be working some hours but they won't be killing them selfs to travel miles , to do nights or weekends; simple math you get payed 50£ , you'll be taking home 25; oh and you are going to say, yeah but it's more than what a trainee gets' correct! But then you need to pay indemnity, training, appraisal etc.
                    So nce again, nights? , bank holidays? , last call shift? Neeeh

I am sure NHS will clench their buttocks; but for how long? I am sure they will do their best to state they can survive without agencies and Locums ;
                    I doubt NHS Trusts are going to flood the job market with permanent medical posts to recruit people from the full time locum market. This may leave the NHS with the same supply/demand problem. What I can see is the loss of market share for agencies. If the NHS Trusts are unwilling to negotiate a rate rise this will leave the locum doctor to pay employer/employee NIC and PAYE from the already established rate. The agency margin is ( guessing ) about 15-20%. To reduce the effect of you being held responsible for employers NIC you may wish to consider direct contracting with the NHS. In other words you may be able to negotiate on the agency margin with them.

Comment

Working...
                    X