• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24th Feb deadline for handing in your notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    What is this messaging to HMRC rubbish you are talking about?
    The "messaging" from whom?

I'm not sure you can reasonably imply that the push for a determination (regardless of whether a contractor is staying or leaving) has no consequences, but perhaps that wasn't your intention(?)

For example.

The current off-payroll rules issued by HM Treasury already require public bodies to report any cases to HMRC where the individual fails to provide assurance that they are paying the right taxes. I would encourage public sector bodies to continue to pass on information to HMRC wherever they become aware of individuals not paying the correct taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I'm not sure you can reasonably imply that the push for a determination (regardless of whether a contractor is staying or leaving) has no consequences, but perhaps that wasn't your intention(?)

For example.
      The problem here is that Agents need determinations by April 1st and possibly far earlier (based on something I saw earlier today).

Hence they do need to be asking those questions now as there are people who need those answers..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

For example.
        But they ARE paying the right taxes up until the 5th April under the contract that they are working to (at least if they had the contract review that passed the outside IR35 criteria and their working practices confirm this).

As they won't have a contract after this date to put through the new tool, there is nothing to compare against.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The problem here is that Agents need determinations by April 1st and possibly far earlier (based on something I saw earlier today).

Hence they do need to be asking those questions now as there are people who need those answers..
          Sure, it's not their fault. I'm just saying that, should a contractor indicate that they intend to leave, and do not want a determination on their existing contract, it might be reasonable to expect the agency to not ask for one.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Then maybe they should be leaving today instead of the 24th Feb/24th Mar payroll?
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Then maybe they should be leaving today instead of the 24th Feb/24th Mar payroll?

Sinking ship, think Titanic.

There will be casualties

This is pretty much exactly what I expected to see.

I could even do a slide

The real one liner serious bit, is you need to understand exactly what you are getting into / involved with.
              I feel some people are outside of that now.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

But they ARE paying the right taxes up until the 5th April under the contract that they are working to (at least if they had the contract review that passed the outside IR35 criteria and their working practices confirm this).

As they won't have a contract after this date to put through the new tool, there is nothing to compare against.
                I don't think it matters whether the WP are inside or outside in the first instance. However, I do think it's possible that a formal determination that an existing contract is "inside" could be a trigger point for a PSB informing HMRC where they don't believe the contractor is currently paying the correct tax. Bottom line, unless you're planning to stay, I don't think you'd want a determination from a PSB when you already have your own determination...

Comment

I don't think it matters whether the WP are inside or outside in the first instance. However, I do think it's possible that a formal determination that an existing contract is "inside" could be a trigger point for a PSB informing HMRC where they don't believe the contractor is currently paying the correct tax. Bottom line, unless you're planning to stay, I don't think you'd want a determination from a PSB when you already have your own determination...
                  Bloody hell - if that's the case they should have left on the 31st December, there's enough clear blue water then!

Comment

Bloody hell - if that's the case they should have left on the 31st December, there's enough clear blue water then!
                    Country doesn't need you any longer, it needs cash.

So....no stone will be left unturned
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Yes, to be clear, I'm not trying to frighten anyone, just suggesting that the agency requesting a determination may, in itself, cause problems later on, even if you're planning to leave, so it would be better to leave sooner or make it clear to the agent that you don't want a determination (because you have one already) - they may ignore you of course, without formal notice. Bottom line, I don't think NHS1979 was talking about "messaging" from the agent, but from the PSB, and I think it was a legitimate point.

Comment

Working...
                      X