• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 PS - So anyone had the discussion yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by runandbecome View Post

See in City AM this morning TFL case was mentioned in an article.
    Saw that.. for such a large public sector body with over 30K employees they are incredibly clueless. I bet they never sought any IR35 advise before making this decision and some chump in HR made this decision without understanding anything about the legislation. Now they are paying for it - I hope the majority of them leave.

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
      Saw that.. for such a large public sector body with over 30K employees they are incredibly clueless. I bet they never sought any IR35 advise before making this decision and some chump in HR made this decision without understanding anything about the legislation. Now they are paying for it - I hope the majority of them leave.
      I suspect given the skill set of most of the contractors that the majority will just suffer in silence due to having no other place to go....

If as appears to be the case, a lot of the people using limited companies as personal service companies are not in the IT industry, I suspect there may be very few people demanding their services.

We look at using a limited company to go contracting across a number of different companies / industries. Many others use limited companies simply as a means to maximise the amount of money they receive from their current temporary contract - and it is at them this change is aimed at - we as I've continually stated for years when it comes to these changes are just collateral damage.
      Last edited by eek; 24 January 2017, 10:10.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I suspect given the skill set of most of the contractors that the majority will just suffer in silence due to having no other place to go....

If as appears to be the case, a lot of the people using limited companies as personal service companies are not in the IT industry, I suspect there may be very few people demanding their services.

We look at using a limited company to go contracting across a number of different companies / industries. Many others use limited companies simply as a means to maximise the amount of money they receive from their current temporary contract - and it is at them this change is aimed at - we as I've continually stated for years when it comes to these changes are just collateral damage.
        But surely they should be looking into the policies in place for hiring people who should be employees and not simply deciding that everybody should be an employee. I'd imagine, given the sums involved in a 20%+ tax hike, this could leave the public sector open to plenty of court cases where contractors challenge the decision. Especially if they were seen as being outside IR35 prior to April.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Contract runs until mid Feb. Extension highly likely as the project is still ramping up and there are unavoidable hard deadlines, so the work needs to be done.

I had an early talk about this with the person signing my timesheets back in beginning of December. He told me that the organization is aware of the coming changes and assured me and the rest of the contractors working on the project that regardless of the final decision whether we are inside or outside, they are prepared to absorb the additional cost so we are not left out of pocket.

Last week we got an official communication from the IT Director stating that they are discussing the matter and reviewing individual contracts and working practices with their Legal department and the agencies and will have a verdict for each of us by the end of January.

All in all happy with the way the Client is handling it, same can't be said for the agency tho. My concern is that it's Hays - the same one that is the exclusive supplier to TfL

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
            But surely they should be looking into the policies in place for hiring people who should be employees and not simply deciding that everybody should be an employee. I'd imagine, given the sums involved in a 20%+ tax hike, this could leave the public sector open to plenty of court cases where contractors challenge the decision. Especially if they were seen as being outside IR35 prior to April.
            Um how do you challenge the decision and given that both IPSE or QDOS's policies are based on tax investigations beginning (which is not the case here) how do you get financial support for such a case.

Comment

Um how do you challenge the decision and given that both IPSE or QDOS's policies are based on tax investigations beginning (which is not the case here) how do you get financial support for such a case.
              Indeed. Must admit I've not been following this as closely as before but this idea that contractors can challenge the decision.. .So the client gives them a contract which has no RoS and something about SD&C... How on earth can the contractor challenge it? It's failed the two main pillars which have had to be there in previous cases? QDOS/IPSE/Anyone can or will defend that. A contractor trying to argue they are not inside when both the client and HMRC want them inside isn't going to work.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
                Nah they are "very" IR35 averse - they have a rule where you can't contract for them for longer than 24m at a time, they might still need you but you have to take contract elsewhere or take a hiatus for couple of months before they take you back.

Comment

That's a good point, but with the sums of money involved and number of people involved here and the lack of wins that HMRC has had, I can't help but think that they are setting themselves up for some kind of fall in the future. Up to now HMRC will have thought they had a good chance of winning the IR35 cases it has fought and largely lost. While the client may be getting advise from HMRC to show that the role is now inside IR35, we all know that this tool is going to be biased. It's going to be a nice little earner for some employment lawyer to take these cases on, especially if the contract was seen to be outside IR35 prior to April and the contract/working practices have not changed.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                    That's a good point, but with the sums of money involved and number of people involved here and the lack of wins that HMRC has had, I can't help but think that they are setting themselves up for some kind of fall in the future. Up to now HMRC will have thought they had a good chance of winning the IR35 cases it has fought and largely lost. While the client may be getting advise from HMRC to show that the role is now inside IR35, we all know that this tool is going to be biased. It's going to be a nice little earner for some employment lawyer to take these cases on, especially if the contract was seen to be outside IR35 prior to April and the contract/working practices have not changed.
                    Who is paying that employment lawyer? That is the problem with your argument....

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                      Nah they are "very" IR35 averse - they have a rule where you can't contract for them for longer than 24m at a time, they might still need you but you have to take contract elsewhere or take a hiatus for couple of months before they take you back.
                      Interesting one. I wonder if they'll drop the ridiculous 24 month rule once all this kicks in.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X