• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 PS - So anyone had the discussion yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Yep got guys here who've been here 3 years and still claiming expenses. Never heard of IR35 either.
    Woman at my last gig claimed expenses for the whole 6 years she was there. She was also in charge of the stationery cupboard, went on company training days & said IR35 didn't affect her because it was aimed at contractors who had multiple gigs. Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
      I'm out of here next Friday. Was offered 6 month extension but we've had an email stating we will all be inside from April.

I think the most frightening thing coming out of all this is how clueless the majority of contractors are and how the agencies/clients don't understand a word of it either. What the hell is going to happen come April I just don't know
      I can have a decent guess:-

Agencies panic in March, don't get things done in time for April and payroll is delayed while they work out what to do....

April payments arrive rather smaller than before and people appear here trying to find answers to the questions (that's why the FAQ is there)..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Assume you have a notice period then?

Wonder how many people are in contracts which run over so cant get out of (easily)?
        I will just not work the final two weeks, I have no notice, but will offer a sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
          I will just not work the final two weeks, I have no notice, but will offer a sub.
          Best plan under the circumstances. Personally I would just take it as leave...

Comment

I'm out of here next Friday. Was offered 6 month extension but we've had an email stating we will all be inside from April.

I think the most frightening thing coming out of all this is how clueless the majority of contractors are and how the agencies/clients don't understand a word of it either. What the hell is going to happen come April I just don't know
            Same applies here.

Are you direct to a PS org or via a consultancy/ managed service provider?

Comment

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
              Same applies here.

Are you direct to a PS org or via a consultancy/ managed service provider?
              Through an agency direct to client.

Comment

Through an agency direct to client.
                Yesterday was our first heads up about this at the University, Finance and the directors are now looking into it, I am direct (no agency or middleman involved) we are hoping we can convince them that our contracts are well outside IR35 for us direct people)
                But maybe they will get scared.

See in City AM this morning TFL case was mentioned in an article.

Comment

Those of us with some involvement with PS.....

I've advised both agency and consultancy (who I work through at their PS client site) that something needs to be sorted. They've mentioned extension (luckily current one ends end Feb which is ideal) but I've said until its sorted its a no.

Trouble is both agency and client seem totally clueless. Even more so fellow contractors I work with. Of course, most dont even seem to realise it applies to work PAID in April either.

Can see a lot of people sleepwalking into this and then it all going pete tong to be honest...

Having had quite a lot of ups and downs in my business with increased competition/too many people in the market/supply etc I need to get a new contract, and after 6 mths with no work I've just been offered a 3 mth (low rate too)with an NHS client via an agency. Having been out of Public Sector for 2 yrs (although a little aware of the increasing legislation & document requirements) I am really fed up with the amount of information and disclosure that is required, am v.risk averse and if I sign up I believe I will be exposed to a big risk... The agent I deal with, who is a nice lad, will not be aware of the implications I don't think. This morning i have to make a decision if I decide not to accept then hope to get whatever other work is about in future. Worrying times for me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by stillooking View Post
                    Having had quite a lot of ups and downs in my business with increased competition/too many people in the market/supply etc I need to get a new contract, and after 6 mths with no work I've just been offered a 3 mth (low rate too)with an NHS client via an agency. Having been out of Public Sector for 2 yrs (although a little aware of the increasing legislation & document requirements) I am really fed up with the amount of information and disclosure that is required, am v.risk averse and if I sign up I believe I will be exposed to a big risk... The agent I deal with, who is a nice lad, will not be aware of the implications I don't think. This morning i have to make a decision if I decide not to accept then hope to get whatever other work is about in future. Worrying times for me personally.
                    Assume the contract is inside IR35 and that you cannot claim expenses (so they will need to come from taxed income) and decide based on that. Given that this is a brand new contract you have zero risk of being hit by the large retrospective tax bill some people are leaving to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by stillooking View Post
                      Its a new contract so I would go for it. Be interesting if the agency are stating via a ltd or brolly? better to earn something rather than be benched imo

Comment

Working...
                      X