• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's changed - FAQ

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    Doesn't every option give you the chance to push for employment right?

Fix term contract will have some, going onto PAYE will give you some, umbrella will give you some. The way I see it, working for your own limited company is one of the most convoluted ways to get those rights because they would come from the other routes to work but not necessarily from your own company.
    Yep they give you rights as they factor them in to how they pay you. The reason for going to a tribunal however is the difference between:-

Umbrella £27 an hour including your holiday pay / sickness
    Public Sector via tribunal - £27 an hour for every hour worked. Holiday pay / Sickness is on top of that £27 instead of being part of.

And public sector pensions are still final salary based...
    Last edited by eek; 23 January 2017, 08:54.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      For pension payments with your employer, salary sacrifice is your friend. If they offer it. You can't make the employer do it, IIRC.
      Yep which is why I don't expect Agencies to offer it, but umbrella companies can and do offer salary sacrifice (although I will note that the umbrella does need to pay you the national minimum wage, only amounts above that can be put in your pension).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Yep they give you rights as they factor them in to how they pay you. The reason for going to a tribunal however is the difference between:-

Umbrella £27 an hour including your holiday pay / sickness
        Public Sector via tribunal - £27 an hour for every hour worked. Holiday pay / Sickness is on top of that £27 instead of being part of.

And public sector pensions are still final salary based..
        Hmm, not entirely true.

Three close family members of mine are all PS employees. Defined Benefit (final salary) schemes are gone.

One has a true money purchase scheme, albeit with employer contributions.
        One has a career average scheme with reduced accrual rates too along with retirement age gone up from 60 to 67.
        One has a career average scheme or an option to have a defined contribution scheme at lower contribution levels.

So, what you said isn't quite true.
        Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 23 January 2017, 09:21.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Yep which is why I don't expect Agencies to offer it, but umbrella companies can and do offer salary sacrifice (although I will note that the umbrella does need to pay you the national minimum wage, only amounts above that can be put in your pension).
          Sadly, as a brolly employee, you also pay your employer for the privilege of working for them too. I'm guessing you pay a brolly about GBP 50 a week just to employ you? No tax relief on that either, to boot. Kind of adds up when you're paying 42% tax, eh?

Comment

Sadly, as a brolly employee, you also pay your employer for the privilege of working for them too. I'm guessing you pay a brolly about GBP 50 a week just to employ you? No tax relief on that either, to boot. Kind of adds up when you're paying 42% tax, eh?
            Most are a lot less than £50 a week.... The £50 a week ones will be paying healthy kickbacks to be on the agency's preferred supplier list.

In fact contractor umbrella's fee is £29.50 a week. The weekly take home pay for a £300 a day contract drops to £903.24 or just £15.81 less than my original IR35 calculation above.
            Last edited by eek; 23 January 2017, 09:44.

Comment

Hmm, not entirely true.

Three close family members of mine are all PS employees. Defined Benefit (final salary) schemes are gone.

One has a true money purchase scheme, albeit with employer contributions.
              One has a career average scheme with reduced accrual rates too along with retirement age gone up from 60 to 67.
              One has a career average scheme or an option to have a defined contribution scheme at lower contribution levels.

So, what you said isn't quite true.
              sorry yes that should be defined benefit based rather than contribution based,

Comment

Agencies have to auto-enrole agency workers unless they are short term ones, and only the pension scheme itself can get you to opt out.

So it will be between you and the scheme how much you want to contribute from your salary.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Agencies have to auto-enrole agency workers unless they are short term ones, and only the pension scheme itself can get you to opt out.

So it will be between you and the scheme how much you want to contribute from your salary.
                  That's not the same thing SE. Under that scenario you still get ErNIC docked out of your rate before you get it. With salary sacrifice you get save the ErNIC which would otherwise be paid and be irrecoverable.

Comment

That's not the same thing SE. Under that scenario you still get ErNIC docked out of your rate before you get it. With salary sacrifice you get save the ErNIC which would otherwise be paid and be irrecoverable.
                    Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

When you pay into a pension the scheme provider leaves it up to you how much should automatically be taken from your salary before NI.

In a employer scheme where the employer matches/puts a percentage for a certain level of contributions they give boxes on the form for you to tick but there is always an option to put in a larger payment.

If you are one of many people who doesn't return the forms in time or at all, they will automatically just take the lowest contribution and it's up to you to sort the mess out.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

When you pay into a pension the scheme provider leaves it up to you how much should automatically be taken from your salary before NI.

In a employer scheme where the employer matches/puts a percentage for a certain level of contributions they give boxes on the form for you to tick but there is always an option to put in a larger payment.

If you are one of many people who doesn't return the forms in time or at all, they will automatically just take the lowest contribution and it's up to you to sort the mess out.
                      That's still costing you ErNIC though, SE.

Comment

Working...
                      X