• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's changed - FAQ

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by electronicfur View Post
    My company is being offered a direct contract in the public sector. 99% of the work is done from my own office, and my company currently provides services for this public sector organisation via another company, a small consultancy, currently outside IR35. Have control, right of substitution, etc.

I understand the decision on whether the contract is within IR35 will now be up to the public sector organisation. Is there any way if I sign a contract now, that I can ensure the contract terms are such that it will be deemed outside of IR35, and that there is no comeback to me if it is later deemed to be inside? The organisation have an urgent need for my speciality so I may be able to dictate the terms.

I also dont want to take the contract if it has a high risk of being terminated in April because of the changes.

Advice appreciated.
    Ask the organisation to make the determination now, and put it in the contract that both parties agree that the contract is not subject to IR35 (in proper legalese, obv.)

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
      Ask the organisation to make the determination now, and put it in the contract that both parties agree that the contract is not subject to IR35 (in proper legalese, obv.)
      Is there a way to avoid the scenario that they do that, and then come April they decide they don't want the associated risk and terminate the contract?

They need my services most urgently in the next two months, hence my question.

Comment

Originally posted by electronicfur View Post
        Is there a way to avoid the scenario that they do that, and then come April they decide they don't want the associated risk and terminate the contract?

They need my services most urgently in the next two months, hence my question.
        Not unless the contract has termination penalties, which is unlikely, and goes against MOO which is a key IR35 indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
          Not unless the contract has termination penalties, which is unlikely, and goes against MOO which is a key IR35 indicator.
          Thanks. Decided to walk away and go back to the private sector from now on.

Comment

Added bit to the top - Is my client caught by the rules.

Moved the consultancy question up to slot in beneath it as both have been frequent questions.

Any improvements on either answer gratefully received.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Added bit to the top - Is my client caught by the rules.

Moved the consultancy question up to slot in beneath it as both have been frequent questions.

Any improvements on either answer gratefully received.
              One unknown on if the client is caught is what happens to certain agencies of departments that are exempt - eg MI5 are exempt from FoI but are part of MoD who are not exempt. So if I contract for MI5, so the new rules apply?

They are undoubtedly public sector but not subject to the definition for IR35 purposes.
              First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                One unknown on if the client is caught is what happens to certain agencies of departments that are exempt - eg MI5 are exempt from FoI but are part of MoD who are not exempt. So if I contract for MI5, so the new rules apply?

They are undoubtedly public sector but not subject to the definition for IR35 purposes.
                MI5 is the responsibility of the Home Office - and I'm not sure if its worth adding as it just adds complexity to what I think should be a fairly simple answers to the basic questions..
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  MI5 is the responsibility of the Home Office - and I'm not sure if its worth adding as it just adds complexity to what I think should be a fairly simple answers to the basic questions..
                  OK - so are MI5 public sector or not? What about other parts of other departments who aren't subject to FoI?

I agree it adds complexity, but the point is that even on a simple question like this there isn't a straightforward answer.
                  First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                    OK - so are MI5 public sector or not? What about other parts of other departments who aren't subject to FoI?

I agree it adds complexity, but the point is that even on a simple question like this there isn't a straightforward answer.
                    MI5 are public sector but there are good reasons which anyone with common sense can work out why they aren't subject to FOI.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      MI5 are public sector but there are good reasons which anyone with common sense can work out why they aren't subject to FOI.
                      So they are definitely covered by the new legislation?

Comment

Working...
                      X