• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    the great unknown in James' post is point 3 (if applied its going to be fun) but I think that is 50-50 at the moment.

HMRC will like to do it, whether HMG could ignore the screams from elsewhere in the way they have done in the public sector is far harder to guess.

A better question will be how HMRC play with the results of the Taylor review into employment...
    All dictated by deliverables and volumes of contractors staying put I'd expect.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

That was mine until I remembered how and why I hated being permie, hence looking at the consultancy option instead.
      Well I chose a boutique consultancy and negotiated a decent package.

With a glut of people on the market those pickings may be very slim indeed.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Given that I had an awful experience with what is supposedly the best boutique consultancy in my field - I will stick to the owning the consultancy plan...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That was mine until I remembered how and why I hated being permie, hence looking at the consultancy option instead.
          Yep, must admit, I'd rather head down the boutique consultancy route rather than the perm route. Worked a bit harder but regular bleeding edge training and variety together with the variety of projects.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Will be very interesting to revisit this thread come December

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

You contract there as an associate there though, right?
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
                Normally heads of HR hate contractors and consultants, inside or outside IR35 so there is no chance that they will spend an hour + of their time and do this - their first comment will be employ someone permanent!
                Not when there are headcount restrictions then the HR Director or Head of HR will know better than anyone else why they need flexible labour.

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                Don't be surprised if the TFL pronouncement is slowly brushed under the carpet or fully retracted.
                yes and no... the mayor wants drastic cost reductions... contractors in IT etc out - oh there is a resource problem - ok cut the low priority projects and redistribute the remaining resources - oh look how much money we are saving!
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Challenge the ruling

I would encourage all bona fide contractors to challenge the inside IR35 once they in the organisation. What would they have to lose? Just a cost of a tribunal hearing which are going online to hear more and from I read contractors win more than they lose when they fight an 'inside IR35' case. You will find a lot of sympathic judges out there - I wonder if HMRC will help the PS body... my gag for the day

I'm sure there will be at least one person out there willing to do that. Especially, for organisations that take a blanket approach so never took the tool - or you take your own tool.

T

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
                    I would encourage all bona fide contractors to challenge the inside IR35 once they in the organisation. What would they have to lose? Just a cost of a tribunal hearing which are going online to hear more and from I read contractors win more than they lose when they fight an 'inside IR35' case.
                    I'm sure there will be at least one person out there willing to do that. Especially, for organisations that take a blanket approach so never took the tool - or you take your own tool.

T
                    Decent contractors won't be there anymore so good luck trying that with what's left.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Decent contractors won't be there anymore so good luck trying that with what's left.
                      Some may just do it for s&*^ and giggles - I wasn't planning on staying anyway so let's see how far I can push it.

I bet you as soon as you tell the end client that you are raising this at the tribunal - your status will quickly change too... They don't want that sort of hassle.

Would this go to an Employment tribunal?

Comment

Working...
                      X