• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Ahhhhhhh. I get it Good Point Well Made.. But it's not really is it. There might be a lot but they come with risk, a load of unknowns and possibly 30 odd percent less. Why not look for any contract including PS and see what you get. You've a chance.of getting a private one?
    It depends what you do in the NHS as I suspect you can quickly end up with a skillset that's in high demand there but fairly useless outside the NHS...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      It depends what you do in the NHS as I suspect you can quickly end up with a skillset that's in high demand there but fairly useless outside the NHS...
      You mean like being lazy and useless?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You mean like being lazy and useless?
        I was actually think more about the systems they use but that's probably true as well...

Comment

One thing to think of. There are likely to be a lot of PS contracts available now.

Starting a new one is not going to be as bad as remaining in an existing one (if you've been there a long time). There are going to be a lot or people, like me, who are going to leave long running PS contracts because of the threat of retrospective action.

BUT, new contract, all you have to worry about is the new contract. OK possibly a bit hit tax wise but a half decent rate is still better than a dodgy perm salary in my book.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            One thing to think of. There are likely to be a lot of PS contracts available now.

Starting a new one is not going to be as bad as remaining in an existing one (if you've been there a long time). There are going to be a lot or people, like me, who are going to leave long running PS contracts because of the threat of retrospective action.

BUT, new contract, all you have to worry about is the new contract. OK possibly a bit hit tax wise but a half decent rate is still better than a dodgy perm salary in my book.
            Particularly if it's local and you have no expenses to speak of.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Particularly if it's local and you have no expenses to speak of.
              True. The lack of the ability to claim expenses would be a bigger issue for a more remote gig.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

It might be an idea every contractor who has served notice to drop a note to their MP pointing out why. As said in the previous post, the biggest issue for me is the removal of expenses. That ties me into local work, where the rates are dire. I'm not in the public sector, but still see this as being the fore runner to it being implemented in the private sector.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  No tulip sherlock.
                  Key words here are 'not as bad'. Still not a very good position
                  Like saying having 4 fingers amputated rather than your whole arm I guess.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Long time forum lurker here but I'd like to run my situation past you - if anyone has time to comment great.

Working in a Public Sector as limited company contractor. Been here 2.5 years now over 5 contracts on different projects. Current contract ends end of Feb and I was just going to leave it there. However been offered a 3 month extension. Not been claiming expenses since I started the contract that took me over two years.

No decision yet from the company whether they are going to declare people inside or outside but either way I think I have to leave either at the end of Feb or sign new contract and leave 31st March as agency said they will do an early payment run on 5th April if they have all necessary invoices etc on 31st March. Possibly finish a day early just to get this in on time.

Reason for not staying is if they declare all contractors inside then I fear retrospective action that I should have been inside all along. Or if company declare outside I think HMRC will have a smaller number to check on so could really scrutinise them and then face retrospective action.

So I'm thinking leave in March - company are fine with that as I've already mentioned it to them. Get paid before 2017/18 tax year starts. Then look for new contract in another company either public or private.

I know there is always a chance of investigation into past contracts but its too risky to stay on. I'm not leaving myself open to anything relating to the new laws commencing 6th April 17?

Comment

Originally posted by philo View Post
                      Long time forum lurker here but I'd like to run my situation past you - if anyone has time to comment great.

Working in a Public Sector as limited company contractor. Been here 2.5 years now over 5 contracts on different projects. Current contract ends end of Feb and I was just going to leave it there. However been offered a 3 month extension. Not been claiming expenses since I started the contract that took me over two years.

No decision yet from the company whether they are going to declare people inside or outside but either way I think I have to leave either at the end of Feb or sign new contract and leave 31st March as agency said they will do an early payment run on 5th April if they have all necessary invoices etc on 31st March. Possibly finish a day early just to get this in on time.

Reason for not staying is if they declare all contractors inside then I fear retrospective action that I should have been inside all along. Or if company declare outside I think HMRC will have a smaller number to check on so could really scrutinise them and then face retrospective action.

So I'm thinking leave in March - company are fine with that as I've already mentioned it to them. Get paid before 2017/18 tax year starts. Then look for new contract in another company either public or private.

I know there is always a chance of investigation into past contracts but its too risky to stay on. I'm not leaving myself open to anything relating to the new laws commencing 6th April 17?
                      Yep I suspect the retrospective inquiries will be based on you were inside on April 6th 2017 so let's look back from there....

And assuming the above is correct leaving on March 31st with a payroll on 4th/ 5th April is fine provided they meet that payroll date. It also gives them another month to determine if you are inside or outside and allow you to continue if outside.

And I suspect being found outside and continuing would put you in the best possible situation regarding retrospective investigations so if the client knows you are planning to leave on March 31st and are happy for that to occur it gives them a full month to make a proper determination....

Comment

Working...
                      X