• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by breaktwister View Post
    What happens to the PSC Ltd if a PS client determines "inside"? Is the PSC Ltd automatically defunct?

If an individual who is a director of a PSC is suddenly declared as an employee of another organisation and income, which previously would have been income to the PSC and subject to CT, is now "personal income" liable to PAYE etc. Where does all this leave the function of the Ltd? My personal reasoning is that under such circumstances the Ltd has no income and should be shutdown.
    It shouldn't be used for work involving the public sector - because you will either eat into your retained profits or will trade insolvently if there are no retained profits.

If you are inside IR35 in the public sector then nothing can be claimed as a business expense, not even the 5% allowance that is allowed outside the public sector. So you have no way to pay any mobile phone bill, insurance, stationery, heating, lighting, internet etc etc without either using your retained profit or trading insolvently if you are incurring expenses that cannot be paid from the business.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      In name only surely and only in the PS... which isn't really a contractor as we know it.
      So a social worker, moving from client to client, choosing when they work, where they work, and having no supervision, direction or control over what they do, being forced to use an umbrella company doesn't meet that definition?

How about a freelance counsellor who is engaged by the NHS?
      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
        It shouldn't be used for work involving the public sector
        But what if the contract is pre-existing and straddles the 6th April? I guess all contracts need to be cancelled and renegotiated (or simply cancelled and walk away)?

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
          So a social worker, moving from client to client, choosing when they work, where they work, and having no supervision, direction or control over what they do, being forced to use an umbrella company doesn't meet that definition?

How about a freelance counsellor who is engaged by the NHS?
          Put the OPs context back in that he should shut the Ltd just because he's got one gig in the PS. That was the point.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I can't read all 122 pages of this thread right now so apologies if this has already been answered: but what is the mechanism by which public bodies need to inform HMRC of the details of "inside/outside" assessments? I know that there is a tool but I read here that the tool is only advisory.

Comment

http://www.contractorcalculator.co.u...2410_news.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by londonlad View Post
                I suppose there may be contractors on HMRC sites as well. Aren't they on higher risk of being investigated as HMRC very well know about contract and working practices?
                Oh yes, and why do you think there's a sudden glut of contracts for HMRC??
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

In my opinion the cheaper, effective and efficient way for HMRC is to provide amnesty to all contractor by not investigating retrospective. They could ask the contractor to pay the levy of say £2000 to avail this option. Even if say 50000 contractor accept this option, it will net them very good sum without going through the hassle of investigation, tribunal etc....

Comment

Originally posted by londonlad View Post
                    In my opinion the cheaper, effective and efficient way for HMRC is to provide amnesty to all contractor by not investigating retrospective. They could ask the contractor to pay the levy of say £2000 to avail this option. Even if say 50000 contractor accept this option, it will net them very good sum without going through the hassle of investigation, tribunal etc....
                    Sweetheart deals only apply to those who can afford the smartest lawyers. Think Google/Starbucks/Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
                      Is that before or after they resign when they can't make the move to Croydon !?
                      I thought the Home Office was down in Croydon near that passport office building across the dual carriageway..

Comment

Working...
                      X