• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

Finance Bill Committee - Accelerated Payment Legislation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Finance Bill Committee - Accelerated Payment Legislation

    Hi,

    If your MP is on the FBC (see list below) and you would be willing to engage with them, please contact:

    george.paterson @ whitehouseconsulting.co.uk

    Whitehouse are representing a number of groups affected by the legislation, and are working to secure a debate or amendments in the committee.

    Many thanks
    DR


    You can look up your MP using your postcode HERE

    Finance Bill Committee Members

    - Lorely Burt

    - Nic Dakin

    - James Duddridge

    - Charlie Elphicke

    - Chris Evans

    - Richard Fuller

    - Mark Garnier

    - Mr David Gauke

    - Sheila Gilmore

    - Mrs Mary Glindon

    - Duncan Hames

    - Chris Heaton-Harris

    - Cathy Jamieson

    - Mr Marcus Jones

    - Mike Kane

    - Kwasi Kwarteng

    - Andrea Leadsom

    - Chris Leslie

    - Shabana Mahmood

    - Iain McKenzie

    - Catherine McKinnell

    - Ian Mearns

    - Mark Menzies

    - Nicky Morgan

    - Teresa Pearce

    - Christopher Pincher

    - Amber Rudd

    - David Rutley

    - Alec Shelbrooke

    - Henry Smith

    - Ian Swales

    - Valerie Vaz

    - Heather Wheeler

    - Chris Williamson

    - Sammy Wilson
    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 28 April 2014, 12:56.

    #2
    bumping the thread up

    Comment


      #3
      What to say to local MPs

      Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      bumping the thread up
      Hi I would like to write to my MP and to raise concerns about the proposed HMRC new powers and retrospective legalisation.

      I used website https://www.writetothem.com to find my local MP and councillors but wondering if anyone has any tips in how to construct a query / what to ask the MPs?

      Does anyone have a template to use? Is it best to direct this to the local MP or councillors?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by jrock View Post
        Hi I would like to write to my MP and to raise concerns about the proposed HMRC new powers and retrospective legalisation.

        I used website https://www.writetothem.com to find my local MP and councillors but wondering if anyone has any tips in how to construct a query / what to ask the MPs?

        Does anyone have a template to use? Is it best to direct this to the local MP or councillors?
        It's best to write to your MP. You could use this as a starting point.

        Dear MP

        Re. Finance (No. 2) Bill, Part 4, Chapter 3 – Accelerated Payment

        I am writing to you because I am likely to be affected by the above legislation being put before Parliament. Several years ago I used a DOTAS arrangement, and these arrangements are being retrospectively targeted by this legislation.

        If the legislation is passed by Parliament and HMRC issue me with Accelerated Payment Notices, with 90 days to pay, there is no way I will be able to pay. This will result in penalties and HMRC then commencing enforcement action against me.

        The most likely outcome of all this is I will have to go bankrupt which will end my contracting career.

        This is notwithstanding the fact that HMRC have never proved anything against me, or the arrangement I used, in a court of law. All HMRC have done to date is open an investigation into my tax returns. I fully disclosed the arrangement to HMRC and have fully cooperated with their investigation, and now it feels like I am about to be penalised for being open and honest.

        In a recent Budget Note, HMRC stated that 43,000 taxpayers would be receiving accelerated payment notices. I am sure there will be many others like me who will be severely impacted.

        I hope you can understand why I am totally dismayed about this, and I would be grateful if you could raise this matter in Parliament so that MPs appreciate the ramifications of what they are being asked to vote for.

        Yours sincerely

        Comment


          #5
          Hi DR .. have written to my mp before now and informed whitehouse ...

          but if I havent sent anything since the accelerated payment legislation went through .. should I send something across again now ?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
            Hi DR .. have written to my mp before now and informed whitehouse ...

            but if I havent sent anything since the accelerated payment legislation went through .. should I send something across again now ?
            At the moment WH are focusing on the committee members but I'll find out if there is a plan to widen this out to all MPs.

            Comment


              #7
              Great stuff DR fyi I have continued to engage my local MP in Aberdeenshire who was supportive and against the bill..

              Comment


                #8
                Thanks for template

                Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                It's best to write to your MP. You could use this as a starting point.
                Many thanks for the wording template I've sent this to my MP just now. Hopefully will get a response.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  At the moment WH are focusing on the committee members but I'll find out if there is a plan to widen this out to all MPs.
                  The plan is to get everyone to write to their MP in a week or two, and WH will be producing a template.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Sent email to George as my MP is the Brazilian rent boy loving Mark Menzies.

                    Haven't heard from George yet.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X