• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finance Bill Committee - Accelerated Payment Legislation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If widening out to general MPs not just the committee MPs, I would be happy to write to mine.

Comment

How to Get MPs to respond

I found my emails were just ignored and got no response. Those who got responses were general ones like "written to treasury on your behalf" and that came back with standard response "... cash from advantages...". I don't think just emailing has worked for me.

What worked was picking the phone up and requesting a face to face meeting. I am meeting mine on Friday 9th. I plan to engage him by taking his views and how/why he finds this legislation fair? I also wish to make him aware that how hardly this will punish my family and how it has ready caused so much problems in my family. Especially when I was part of an EBT and HMRC is yet to win an EBT case using loans.

Bottom line, 1000s of us have got affected and if all get on the phone and meet the MPs it will have an impact. But what I am seeing is many are ignoring or not doing anything about it. Just writing a letter to MP and thinking our part is done is not going to be enough. I fail to understand why such a large majority of those getting affected are not doing anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by varunksingh View Post
        I found my emails were just ignored and got no response. Those who got responses were general ones like "written to treasury on your behalf" and that came back with standard response "... cash from advantages...". I don't think just emailing has worked for me.

What worked was picking the phone up and requesting a face to face meeting. I am meeting mine on Friday 9th. I plan to engage him by taking his views and how/why he finds this legislation fair? I also wish to make him aware that how hardly this will punish my family and how it has ready caused so much problems in my family. Especially when I was part of an EBT and HMRC is yet to win an EBT case using loans.

Bottom line, 1000s of us have got affected and if all get on the phone and meet the MPs it will have an impact. But what I am seeing is many are ignoring or not doing anything about it. Just writing a letter to MP and thinking our part is done is not going to be enough. I fail to understand why such a large majority of those getting affected are not doing anything about it.
        I'm mainly concerned with the BN66 thread, but wanted to add that I completely agree with VarunKSingh's sentiments.

Anyone who will be caught by the "pay upfront" legislation needs to strike now whilst the iron is hot. You can bury your heads in the sand and hope somebody else will deal with it, but don't complain when your MP votes through the legislation because they have no idea what it is about.

This is exactly what happened with Section 58 (BN66) in the 2008 Finance Act. Government ministers lied to Parliament and MPs voted through the legislation without understanding the facts. They were told it would only affect the wealthy, it was a "clarification" of existing law, etc. etc..

Don't rely on an email or letter. Arrange a meeting at your MP's surgery. Many of them hold surgeries late evenings. This legislation WILL be voted through before MPs break up for their summer recess unless there is an avalanche of constituents banging down their doors.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

MPs are generally helpful

I would also add that no one should hesitate to contact MPs. I have found their office is helpful and I did not had to do too much to get an appointment. As soon I requested, someone called me back and all got confirmed. I think most MPs will be approachable. I hope they also later do something about it.

Comment

Varun do you have a potted version of the issues to discuss with MPs? I want to see my MP and don't want to get into a tangle
            Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
            http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Been reading all the latest threads on EBT/APN etc... as I too have received enquiry and discovery letters. Would love to lobby my MP, but as a constituent of Newark and thanks to Patrick Mercer, I'm not in a position to do that. Already appealed them all and now hanging in the balance with everyone else, whilst mulling over my options. The one I won't be using though is paying up without a fight !!
              STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
                Varun do you have a potted version of the issues to discuss with MPs? I want to see my MP and don't want to get into a tangle
                My approach with my MP has been not of fighting or have a go at him or government but engaging with him. Start with agreeing that ILLEGAL avoidance should be stopped and agree that if I have done a mistake in past I am happy to try and fix it. Then engage by asking questions around legislation specific points - points which you are most worried about or affect you a lot. For me these are
                1) After collecting upfront tax, should HMRC not have a time limit to conclude the case or take it to court? I don't want HMRC to sit with money for years
                2) How will taxpayer be protected if HMRC is given powers to be the judge. HMRC gets targets for tax collection and will that not cause conflict of interest?
                3) HMRC should provide long term plans to pay off multiple years liabilities.
                etc etc
                Point is ask question and communicate your situation. By asking questions you are ensuring MP starts to think and understand the legislation instead of just believing what HMRC are advertising. By communicating your situation you are ensuring that MP gets a picture of problems people will face when voting on the bill.

May be not the best approach but gives a start I guess. Better for all to try and do what they can to get this legislation changed and we don't have much time. I really don't understand how people have ignored this. 65000 getting affected and these forums should be full of how things progress with MPs.

Comment

Most MPs should, by now, be familiar with AP (accelerated payment). If Parliament passes this legislation then come July HMRC will be able to start issuing APNs (accelerated payment notices). Taxpayers will have 90 days to pay or face penalties and enforcement action.

Explain to your MP how this would affect you personally.

There is nothing in the legislation to stop HMRC bankrupting people who can't pay. Is Parliament happy for them to do that when they have not proved anything in court?

You don't need to get technical. This is about how it will impact you and others like you.

Comment

For anyone who is still dithering about whether or not so see their MP before the May elections...

Taxman to raid joint accounts | Mail Online
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Its also kicking off on LBC with Nick Ferrari as well now. Maybe the implications are starting to sink in

Comment

Working...
                      X