• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry Letters for Choice Premier / Berwick Associates/ Runnymede Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Centrick View Post
    There's a lot of inaccuracies being posted in this forum that can't possibly be helping folks' state-of-mind.... It's simply not true to say nothing is being done by CP. Sure, the communication from them and the Accountant could be WAY better than it has been (i.e. more frequent and informative), but we do know they're not sitting in the background doing nothing and - before jumping the gun with accusations and tales of 'Armageddon' - we surely need to wait until the document preparation/submission is completed and the outcome of HMRC's review is formally advised to us.
    This forum is here to allow people to contact others and to vent. It will not change and I take a dim view on those just turning up and haranguing forum members with their first post.

They may not manage a second.

I hope I have made myself clear...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Have to wait and see

As you are aware CP are now in the middle of sending all paperwork for 2011/2012 and will be doing 2012/2013 too.

There was an assumption that MJK would have the insurance to cover the investigation (but as someone mention earlier re Gary Barlow) when MJK try to claim on it they were rebuffed from the insurance company as they were stating they dont cover "possible avoidance" schemes. They had mentioned they would be appealing this at some point but ho hum , lets see.

CP seem to be doing their utmost in providing all the paperwork that was asked for. Lets hope this covers what HMRC is looking for in any case.

Its a bit annoying that this has now dragged on so long that we are now into the 2012/2013 tax year investigation too. I would expect an email from MJK this week stating the cost and that they will liase and do a sample coverage as has been done in the 2011/2012 year. Note the people in the chosen sample for 2011/2012 did not have to forward bank statements as of yet (who knows if this changes if the scheme is found invalid though).

MJk have a meeting with HMRC in feb i believe and I guess the outcome of that meeting decides our fate.

Comment

Free speech

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I take a dim view on those just turning up and haranguing forum members with their first post.

They may not manage a second.

I hope I have made myself clear...

I am a new member (everyone has to start somewhere) who is SIGNIFICANTLY affected by the enquiry raised; both from the potential financial implications and the prolonged stress. There is certainly nothing "haranguing" (applying dictionary definition) about my previous message; rather it merely states (as is known to countless Berwick partners) that the suggestion nothing is being done by CP is simply untrue and - of even greater importance - that the making of groundless accusations is in nobody's interests when all parties involved need to be working together in a common cause to secure a favourable outcome! The time to consider the appropriateness of recriminations is, surely, following HMRC advising its decision.

Comment

I am a new member (everyone has to start somewhere) who is SIGNIFICANTLY affected by the enquiry raised; both from the potential financial implications and the prolonged stress. There is certainly nothing "haranguing" (applying dictionary definition) about my previous message; rather it merely states (as is known to countless Berwick partners) that the suggestion nothing is being done by CP is simply untrue and - of even greater importance - that the making of groundless accusations is in nobody's interests when all parties involved need to be working together in a common cause to secure a favourable outcome! The time to consider the appropriateness of recriminations is, surely, following HMRC advising its decision.
          One does indeed have to start somewhere.

And it can be ended just as quickly. Please remember that.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And here we are trying to get HMRC solicitor's office to reply and give exactly what documentation they need for lead cases. But as usual it is taking weeks and weeks and HMRC are not responding. When HMRC ask and taxpayer don't respond it is big penalty coming taxpayers way but HMRC can take all the time in universe to respond to taxpayer - how good and non discriminating this is

Comment

Centrick - cojak's reply to you was not simply for the post you made but also for the PM that you sent to one of the members here that was forwarded on. You are more than welcome to your point of view but please do remain civil. I am sorry to hear that you are exposed to this but do take some time to read all of the info that you can. As has been pointed out before, use the place to group together and to share information away from the prying eyes of this public forum. As you are new to this then consider that maybe we have seen more of the goings on over the last year or two and there is a pattern emerging - and it isn't of the scheme promoters getting clobbered but the scheme users. I do hope CP will do better than the other scheme providers so far but don't get your hopes up - that way you will be preparing for the worst and will be delighted if it all works out for you. Expecting a win here is setting yourself up for a hefty disappointment from what we have seen so far.

Comment

I was not with CP but strongly suspect that they are the same people that were behind the EBT that I was with and has been offered the settlement opportunity. So here is my experience of them (if indeed they are the same people).

When the flurry of discovery assessments came out for the 2008/2009 tax year I tracked them down and it was made clear to me that they were no longer in business and I had better get in touch with MJK. They also stated that any costs would be down to me. I did get in touch with MJK both at that time and once again when the Contractor EBT settlement opportunity letter came out. He is now representing a group from that scheme and to join the group is not an insignificant fee. If it does go to tribunal (and who knows if it will) then the costs will really start to stack up.

They must have made £millions in fees and yet aren't contributing to/funding our group representation. I hope that you do get this cleared up in the next year with a good outcome but in the long term I wouldn't depend on them (once again, if they are the same people). Very few of the scheme providers seem to have stuck around in the long term.

Are they funding the work that MJK is doing now or have you been asked to contribute?

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                  I was not with CP but strongly suspect that they are the same people that were behind the EBT that I was with and has been offered the settlement opportunity. So here is my experience of them (if indeed they are the same people).

When the flurry of discovery assessments came out for the 2008/2009 tax year I tracked them down and it was made clear to me that they were no longer in business and I had better get in touch with MJK. They also stated that any costs would be down to me. I did get in touch with MJK both at that time and once again when the Contractor EBT settlement opportunity letter came out. He is now representing a group from that scheme and to join the group is not an insignificant fee. If it does go to tribunal (and who knows if it will) then the costs will really start to stack up.

They must have made £millions in fees and yet aren't contributing to/funding our group representation. I hope that you do get this cleared up in the next year with a good outcome but in the long term I wouldn't depend on them (once again, if they are the same people). Very few of the scheme providers seem to have stuck around in the long term.

Are they funding the work that MJK is doing now or have you been asked to contribute?
                  I'm afraid the modus operandi of many of these companies seems to be:
                  1) sell the scheme for a few years
                  2) rake in £millions in fees
                  3) wait for HMRC to start sniffing around
                  4) disappear into the night leaving clients high and dry

In the sales pitch many companies promise to defend their scheme in court but this rarely seems to be honoured.

Btw, it doesn't need to be that expensive if enough people club together and, to be honest, there's a lot to be said for being in control of your own destiny.
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 16 December 2014, 08:10.

Comment

Not ALL companies though. Our promoter is sticking by every word they said.

Comment

Originally posted by StrengthInNumbers View Post
                      Not ALL companies though. Our promoter is sticking by every word they said.
                      Yes, our promoter Montpelier has stuck by us since 2001. Unfortunately the good ones are few and far between.

Comment

Working...
                      X