• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry Letters for Choice Premier / Berwick Associates/ Runnymede Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..after speaking CP first I would imagine.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yes, please speak to MJK/CP before approaching HMRC directly

Comment

I second that, better to respond as a collective, than upset the apple cart on your own.

First stop MJK & CP

Comment

Originally posted by Michael J Perry FCA View Post
          We are seeing a lot more new enquiries for 2012/13 Tax Returns, following those for 2011/12.

As the schemes were non-DOTAS, you can expect a Follower Notice and APN in the New Year although HMRC will give you advance warning of this. There are new further penalties for non-compliance with a Follower Notice.
          You've been asked on a couple of different threads to explain how a Follower Notice and an APN will arrive for such schemes in the new year. So, as you cut and paste between the forums, do you think you could address the point?
          For an FN to be issued against a non DOTAS scheme it will have had to fall foul of the GAAR or have been defeated in a court. I assume that, as an accountant, you have read the legislation - so I will bow to your expert knowledge.

Again, as a professional, can you try and give concise and accurate information. There are plenty of people impacted by these letters who would welcome your advice as opposed to what may be seen (mistakenly) as an attempt to drum up business.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
            You've been asked on a couple of different threads to explain how a Follower Notice and an APN will arrive for such schemes in the new year. So, as you cut and paste between the forums, do you think you could address the point?
            For an FN to be issued against a non DOTAS scheme it will have had to fall foul of the GAAR or have been defeated in a court. I assume that, as an accountant, you have read the legislation - so I will bow to your expert knowledge.

Again, as a professional, can you try and give concise and accurate information. There are plenty of people impacted by these letters who would welcome your advice as opposed to what may be seen (mistakenly) as an attempt to drum up business.
            I think he's gone back down his hole

Comment

Let's get down to the facts, eh?.......

Originally posted by Michael J Perry FCA View Post
              This involves Berwick Associates (2011) LLP but feeds back to Kinsella and Keypay for many clients.

As the schemes were non-DOTAS, you can expect a Follower Notice and APN in the New Year although HMRC will give you advance warning of this. There are new further penalties for non-compliance with a Follower Notice.

You need to acquaint yourself with these matters and HMRC's website has all the information.
              Professional guidance is always very welcome MJP but, as is clearly the case given the "advice" posted above, you appear neither sufficiently aware of the set-up of the Berwick/CP arrangement nor 'acquainted' with the key factor that underpins HMRC's ability to raise an FN/APN to partners.

Whilst there may well be people out there who, over the years, joined two or more of the arrangements referred to (i.e. Berwick, Kinsella and Keypay), as far as I know they are/were independent 'vehicles' operating under significantly differing mechanisms.

Please can you advise MJP, in your professional opinion, the name of the arrangement successfully defeated at Judicial Review that HMRC can leverage as a robust parallel in raising FN/APN against Berwick partners?

As for the implied suggestion that, rather than entrusting the designated FCA to represent the collective mass in defending the enquiry, partners should move into 'Lone Wolf' mode and contact HMRC direct in search of info/settlement, I personally wholeheartedly reject such advice and call out the obvious, inherent risks of breaking from the ranks.......

In closing, unlike others I'm not inclined to be as cynical as to suspect you of merely trying to 'drum up' business via negative generalist statements, so please repay my faith by providing some advice we can recognise as such.
              Last edited by Centrick; 18 December 2014, 14:55.

Comment

MJP was banned for a month a while ago.

You don't get that for nowt.

Comment

I also received same latter from HMRC for 2012/13 returns. is it best to talk to CP/MJK or HMRC?
                  What's the status of Forex Loan issue between CP and HMRC?
                  Anyone?

Comment

Get in touch with both MJK and CP. CP will provide you with the forex paperwork and MJK are dealing with HMRC. You are probably better off calling MJK rather than emailing them. I'm surprised you didn't get an email from them recently actually?

Comment

CP/MJK Non payment of fees

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but also caught up in the Keypay and Forex enquiries. Following MJKs mails re the withholding of profit figures until fees are settled I'd be very interested to understand how people have approached this situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X