• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free advice is available and worth having!

Originally posted by Not Losing Any Sleep View Post
    I also sent a PM to Michael who did reply with the documents he said he would. It's all a classic case of human nature. Do you sit back and let everyone else pick up the tab or do you all join in? I don't see any reason whatsoever why Michael shouldn't set out a fee schedule. If you want totally free advice, don't expect to get anything worth having.
    To avoid any misunderstanding here is an updated post of what you will get if you PM or email my company:

1. You will need to send us an email request so that we can send you details of the latest position and HMRC's next course of action in relation to contractors that received loans when employed by offshore employers, with a free update (Client Alert!) and information about group representation; the Boyle decision and appeal position; a new voluntary settlement opportunity; time scales; and the possible National Insurance and penalty considerations should matters eventually be decided in favour of HMRC.

2. We also offer a free initial assessment and advice on your case and will need some further information before we can help you. Our reply will include details of our Fixed Fees should you wish to consider appointing us to deal with HMRC on your behalf.

Let us know if you would also like to receive this advice on your case.

Comment

Originally posted by octavarium
      Hello

In response you your post below I would like to request initial advice. I am going to join a group and have no problem in paying as part of group representation.

I was employed by Edge and it's subsequent incarnations (Norla and Target) for 3.5 years from April 2009 until September 2012.
      Hi octavarium,,

I would remove your personal details from the above post.

After that have a look at the first post in this thread for more information about group representation

Comment

Originally posted by edgeebt View Post
        Hi Michael,

After contacting you specifically with regards to the above post, you replied with a request for my personal details, a copy of your fee structure and none of the updates you've offered above. It seems to be a shameless plug for business and a blatant lie regarding an update regarding the above topics.

In the interests of transparency, please advise whether or not you actually intend to fulfil your offer above or if this was actually a honey-pot to gather contact details and plug your services.
        Please don't be surprised to see regular posts from tax professionals. Do you think MJP posts on this forum for the good of his health? We are business for these people. The more people they sign up, the more money they make... and they are doing very well from this debacle.

Comment

Email from Michelle Booth ,

Guys, I have just had this email from Michelle, I would expect most people will have had it , doesn't say anything that we don't all ready know , she is probably fed up of saying the same thing to people and wants to move on, Cant blame her really ..

Good afternoon,
          I trust this email finds you all well.
          In the recent months there have been further developments in respect of the HMRC Discovery Assessment demands as well as the position with Edge Consulting. Those of you who have already spoken with me will be aware of some of these developments but for those of you who have not, I’d like to update you on the current situation.
          As I am sure most of you will be aware, in December last year, following on from the initial demands sent in December 2012, HMRC sent another wave of tax demands out to the users of EBT’s. This latest wave of demands relates mostly to the 2009/2010 tax period but some people have also received demands for the 2010/2011 tax period. The position with HMRC in respect of the demands remains the same and therefore the general consensus amongst tax advisors on how to deal with the demands also remains the same and that is to appeal the decision.
          Another development that I need to make you all aware of is that Edge Consulting Limited is no longer trading in the UK and I no longer work for the company in any capacity. I can therefore regretfully no longer offer any formal support in respect of Edge queries. I need to stress that this is not a formal recommendation as I can no longer act in any capacity on behalf of Edge however I have been approached by a tax advisor / Barrister who has dealt with very similar, high profile offshore tax cases in the past and might be someone you can work with. As I am no longer able to assist you in this matter, you are welcome to contact the following company who will be more than happy to represent you either as individuals or in the capacity of a collective consortium;
          FIOS Limited
          Bernard O’Kelly (BCL, AITI, Barrister at Law)
          [email protected]
          Daniel Holden
          [email protected]
          01624 614955
          Home
          If you contact FIOS Limited, they will be able to supply you with an over view of what they can offer and will no doubt fill you in on their credentials.
          Best wishes for the future,
          Michelle
          __________________________________________________ ________
          Michelle Booth
          Head of Service Delivery

Hills Meadow, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 5EB
          The content of this message and if applicable attached file are confidential and are for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any unauthorised review, use, re-transmission, dissemination, copying, disclosure or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and then delete the e-mail from your system. Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us, belongs to Edge. Any attachment with this message should be checked for viruses before it is opened.Redstone cannot be held responsible for any failure by the recipient to test for viruses before opening any attachments. Should you communicate with anyone at Redstone by e-mail, you consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.

Comment

Redstone Services & Bedouin

It may not be true to say that Redstone Services no longer receive income from former Edge employees given their apparent involvement in a structure promoted by Bedouin. Those still in it may wish to enquire as to what support they are willing to provide for past arrangements given their continued involvement.

Re FIOS Mr. O'Kelly will be known to many on this forum. He is the former MD of Montpellier, the promoter of the arrangement retrospectively blocked by what is colloquially referred to as BN66.

Originally posted by Montyb View Post
            Guys, I have just had this email from Michelle, I would expect most people will have had it , doesn't say anything that we don't all ready know , she is probably fed up of saying the same thing to people and wants to move on, Cant blame her really ..

Good afternoon,
            I trust this email finds you all well.
            In the recent months there have been further developments in respect of the HMRC Discovery Assessment demands as well as the position with Edge Consulting. Those of you who have already spoken with me will be aware of some of these developments but for those of you who have not, I’d like to update you on the current situation.
            As I am sure most of you will be aware, in December last year, following on from the initial demands sent in December 2012, HMRC sent another wave of tax demands out to the users of EBT’s. This latest wave of demands relates mostly to the 2009/2010 tax period but some people have also received demands for the 2010/2011 tax period. The position with HMRC in respect of the demands remains the same and therefore the general consensus amongst tax advisors on how to deal with the demands also remains the same and that is to appeal the decision.
            Another development that I need to make you all aware of is that Edge Consulting Limited is no longer trading in the UK and I no longer work for the company in any capacity. I can therefore regretfully no longer offer any formal support in respect of Edge queries. I need to stress that this is not a formal recommendation as I can no longer act in any capacity on behalf of Edge however I have been approached by a tax advisor / Barrister who has dealt with very similar, high profile offshore tax cases in the past and might be someone you can work with. As I am no longer able to assist you in this matter, you are welcome to contact the following company who will be more than happy to represent you either as individuals or in the capacity of a collective consortium;
            FIOS Limited
            Bernard O’Kelly (BCL, AITI, Barrister at Law)
            [email protected]
            Daniel Holden
            [email protected]
            01624 614955
            Home
            If you contact FIOS Limited, they will be able to supply you with an over view of what they can offer and will no doubt fill you in on their credentials.
            Best wishes for the future,
            Michelle
            __________________________________________________ ________
            Michelle Booth
            Head of Service Delivery

Hills Meadow, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 5EB
            The content of this message and if applicable attached file are confidential and are for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any unauthorised review, use, re-transmission, dissemination, copying, disclosure or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and then delete the e-mail from your system. Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us, belongs to Edge. Any attachment with this message should be checked for viruses before it is opened.Redstone cannot be held responsible for any failure by the recipient to test for viruses before opening any attachments. Should you communicate with anyone at Redstone by e-mail, you consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.

Comment

Originally posted by Montyb View Post
              Really? You can't blame her?

Just a reminder from this time LAST YEAR guys...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ml#post1704960

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ml#post1705006
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Free health warning

I am aware that a number on this forum remain in employment structures involving loans that accrue interest and therefore purport not to attract a benefit in kind. The view is then given that no disclosure need be made to HMRC.

I'd suggest a healthy degree of scepticism for such claims and that you consider seeking independent professional advice (though not from me as it does not need Sherlock to deduce my own view) on such claims.

This is because IMO s175(2)(b) and s175(3)(b) ITEPA 2003 require the interest to be paid in the year to avoid the benefit in kind.

That view is supported by the conclusion of the First Tier Tribunal decision in Leeds Design & Innovation Centre Ltd v HMRC: http://clients.squareeye.net/uploads...eeds201213.pdf

Caveat Emptor!

Comment

PM Access

Morning,

I'm an Edge employee from 2010-11 year.

Please can i have permissions to PM other posters?

Regards

RV

<admin note>PM access granted</admin note>

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                  If you have any desire to pursue group representation please

Request PM (private message) access if you don't already have it. You can post a request or contact the admins via this page: http://forums.contractoruk.com/sendmessage.php

PM TheDandy here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/priva...=newpm&u=39502
                  PM Saleos here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/priva...=newpm&u=41765

then make a decision if you have interest in one or both of the groups and if you are willing to foot the likely costs and advise the organiser(s) accordingly

Simply posting a desire to join a group will not achieve anything.

Sorry for the repetition but I want to ensure latecomers are informed

GS

Comment

First-tier tax tribunal decision issued on 29 november 2013

Originally posted by michael j perry fca View Post
                    To avoid any misunderstanding here is an updated post of what you will get if you pm or email my company:

1. You will need to send us an email request so that we can send you details of the latest position and hmrc's next course of action in relation to contractors that received loans when employed by offshore employers, with a free update (client alert!) and information about group representation; the boyle decision and appeal position; a new voluntary settlement opportunity; time scales; and the possible national insurance and penalty considerations should matters eventually be decided in favour of hmrc.

2. We also offer a free initial assessment and advice on your case and will need some further information before we can help you. Our reply will include details of our fixed fees should you wish to consider appointing us to deal with hmrc on your behalf.

Let us know if you would also like to receive this advice on your case.
                    It would appear that the Boyle decision is now final as no application to appeal has been lodged within the prescribed period.

Do contact us if you would like free advice about how this might impact on your own case.

Comment

Bernard O'Kelly

Originally posted by Saleos View Post
                      It may not be true to say that Redstone Services no longer receive income from former Edge employees given their apparent involvement in a structure promoted by Bedouin. Those still in it may wish to enquire as to what support they are willing to provide for past arrangements given their continued involvement.

Re FIOS Mr. O'Kelly will be known to many on this forum. He is the former MD of Montpellier, the promoter of the arrangement retrospectively blocked by what is colloquially referred to as BN66.
                      Just a quick note to say that I am the same Bernard O'Kelly but I have been out of Montpelier for over 5 years now.

Comment

Working...
                      X