• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC letter for disguised remuneration from XXX that I never took

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markrammond View Post
    A complete misunderstanding of the situation you are NOW in.
    So you need to get HMRC to correct their records as otherwise they will be chasing you for £x,000 in money to the point that HMRC go after your house / bankrupt you if you are not co-operative.

And to do that you really can't ignore it you need professional advice from someone.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi, I have written to HMRC already to state my truthful position that I was a contractor for what must be about 32 days only and that the money was paid to a London based payroll agency and then to me. The original sums involved from my one and only contract were as I say about 12k or so. I have also phoned up HMRC without getting hold of anyone of real value to try to find more details out. So I have not ignored the correspondence. But I know the claims they are making are frankly absurd, there's suggestions of 200k+ of income and tax on it of 55k for the scheme operator and 33k to me personally. I'll update the forum if I ever hear back. There simply isn't any data records which show me receiving these huge revenues, or any revenues. It is a fishing trip. It wouldn't bankrupt me or cost me my house, even the 88k in total, but it is hassle I don't need, and I wonder how many other people have had these speculative invoices.

Comment

Originally posted by markrammond View Post
        Hi, I have written to HMRC already to state my truthful position that I was a contractor for what must be about 32 days only and that the money was paid to a London based payroll agency and then to me. The original sums involved from my one and only contract were as I say about 12k or so.
        Have you worked out if the appropriate tax was paid on all monies for those 32 days? eg, 32 days @ £500 gives £16K. If you got £12K, that's you retaining 75%, which might be on the high end if tax/NI has been taken off (assuming you also had other income that year).

I'm not saying you owe what HMRC say you owe, but you may owe something, and they have assumed your guilt for a much wider period of time.

Also, see this post where someone commented that HMRC said they "guesstimated based on averages"

https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2970706
        Last edited by Paralytic; 18 April 2023, 14:05.

Comment

Hi, I genuinely can't remember the sums involved given the timescales, but it is a fair point there may have been a slight advantage in my favour.
          However this wasn't any of Procorre, disguised loans or loan charges, and is if anything at all a nominal sum compared to the assertions.
          Thus I am not being funny to say I don't recognise anything in the paperwork they have sent.
          HMRC simply haven't got anything right in their assertions or even nearly right.
          If they were to claim an error in their favour from 12 years ago or what not of a couple of grand plus interest that would be a sensible letter to have received and not the utter garbage I did get which is 100% guesswork.
          I will see if they have any evidence.
          I honestly think they have counted every penny I earned from 2011 to 2014 as a loan despite them also seeing that I was done by them on PAYE.
          I reckon when I worked I was picking up about £4K a month and they were getting £2K plus what they got out of the employer.
          I don't see how I could also have earned another £200k whilst doing 40 hours on payroll for RBSI and the Post Office etc, it is absurd.

Comment

Working...
          X