• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freedom of information request about HMRC using s684 to disapply the PAYE rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom of information request about HMRC using s684 to disapply the PAYE rules

I submitted this to try and find out the scope of the policy. I'm not holding my breath though.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...e_s684_itepa_2

Aren't they policy questions rather than information?

Bearing in mind you are asking about discretion which is the freedom to decide what could be done in particular situations do you believe you are going to get a straight answer? And if you do what use is knowing this when it's only applied in particular situations?

I'm not sure I can see what you are trying to get out of this.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Doesn't this answer your question?

https://www.taxadvisermagazine.com/a...nd-higgs-cases

Comment

1) they've already used s684 against at least one non-loan scheme I'm aware of
        2) they've already used s684 against an offshore scheme which had a UK intermediary that was integral to the scheme
        3) there aren't many schemes which were operating before ITEPA 2003 came into force but I'm sure they'll find a way to clobber them if they need to

As nluk says, we're talking discretionary power here, so HMRC can do pretty much anything they like.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Here is HMRC's response, which was more informative than I was expecting.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

Comment

Originally posted by webby653 View Post
            Here is HMRC's response, which was more informative than I was expecting.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
            Is it? They corrected you on the use of the term loan and they've corrected you on the ITEP clause. They then rip you a new one about how to submit a FOIA and even point you to documentation where you can learn how to do it properly.

I don't know exactly what answer you were looking for but that reads to me all they've told you is that you're first two questions were totally inaccurate and your last question was a pile of garbage.

But I'm happy you got what you want out of it, whatever that was.

Comment

I thought folk were meant to be friendlier oop north.

Comment

Originally posted by webby653 View Post
                I thought folk were meant to be friendlier oop north.
                We are but we also call a spade a spade. Can't sugar coat that response I am afraid. You got PWND.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 5 March 2023, 23:23.

Comment

I hear Montpelier are launching a legal challenge against the use of s.684, for years prior to 2003, in respect of their original IR35 scheme.

I thought they'd shut up shop ages ago but it appears they're still going.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                  X