• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Penalties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be blunt it's Pembroke and I don't think anyone has a clue what is going to happen and what HMRC will do including both the liquidator (Ian doesn't bite btw so you could ask him to find out what he thinks) or HMRC themselves.

But don't get struck up on the 20% thing because that isn't money you received so isn't actually yours. If HMRC come calling and are generous they will tax the 80% of "your income" that you received, if HMRC just look at agency reporting they will tax all 100%.

And because its Pembroke it's perfectly possible (albeit very unlikely) that HMRC won't come calling - to say it's a mess would be an understatement..

Note I use brackets around your income because it isn't yours - that was the agency assignment fee paid to Pembrokes. You then received the sum Pembrokes paid you.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So it sounds like we are of the same mindset, I don't know what HMRC are going to do/ask for so I don't want to go handing over full tax and NI on the whole shebang if I find out later they were only planning to tax the loan amount and/or agree to some relief given the promises made that our tax had been paid and the widely held belief that it doesn't come under the loan charge. It's my view that if they spent this much time and effort with a major company or looked a bit more at the CBILs fraud they'd find a lot more cash rather than chasing people like me for low 5-figures. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but equally, I don't fancy drawing money out of my ISA to pay a bill that may never have come. On advice I have declared it all and more, I have been transparent, it was my first and last foray in to contracting so the whole umbrella/loan stuff was new to me. Yes, it looked properly dodgy, just like every major UK company who are 'creative' with their tax bills...

Comment

Although, when you say that money "isn't actually yours", no permie ever receives the tax up front, it gets taken off them before they are paid along with NI but that money certainly IS theres. It was my expectation that was my tax bill, I have multiple emails where I was reassured Pembroke were paying all of my required tax, I asked multiple times and had answers from multiple individuals to that effect. I understand that may well be as useful as a chocolate teapot in the eyes of HMRC but I'll wait for that decision before I go spanking a ton of money on a bill that hasn't arrived. I certainly get your PoV I just don't want to pre-emptively pay and find out I didn't need to. At this stage I'm just curious to know if penalties have been levied around loan schemes and what for.

Comment

Hi,

I'm a bit late to this thread, but has anyone got any update on whether they paid tax on their loans in the end? I need to fill out a self assessment for the time I was with Pembroke and am unsure how to proceed. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeappleyard4 View Post
            Hi,

I'm a bit late to this thread, but has anyone got any update on whether they paid tax on their loans in the end? I need to fill out a self assessment for the time I was with Pembroke and am unsure how to proceed. Thanks.
            Maybe you posted on the wrong thread. But anyway.....
            - What year do your loans relate to? And
            - Do you have any HMRC open enquiries for those years?

Comment

Thanks for your reply, my loans relate to tax years 18/19, 19/20 & 20/21. I assumed at the time they were legal like I was advised and now i'm asked to do a SA for those tax years. Also i never received the letters as I was out of country so also have a late fine on it before anything else. Trying to find my best course of action. I see people on here have had similar issues with the same company, Pembroke umbrella, so wanted to see if anyone had any advice or guidance. I need to submit 3 years of self assessments as it stands.
              Also do we need to declare these loans as income at all?
              Wanted to see had people paid much extra tax or penalties on these loans, as it stands this will ruin me financially so naturally i'm really starting to panic.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeappleyard4 View Post
                Thanks for your reply, my loans relate to tax years 18/19, 19/20 & 20/21. I assumed at the time they were legal like I was advised and now i'm asked to do a SA for those tax years. Also i never received the letters as I was out of country so also have a late fine on it before anything else. Trying to find my best course of action. I see people on here have had similar issues with the same company, Pembroke umbrella, so wanted to see if anyone had any advice or guidance. I need to submit 3 years of self assessments as it stands.........
                I'm no expert, and you may seek some professional help.Be careful how much you spend on advice not throwing good money after bad.

looks like you have been caught out and not much you can do. HMRC have wind of your membership of the scheme and looks like you are firmly on their radar. You declare the amounts and have to pay up. The best you hope for is negotiate Time to Pay. Just be mindful that with higher interest rates the amounts could mount up from here.

Hopefully others with more knowledge can chip in their thoughts.

Comment

Just get professional help, the people who understand this are not on this forum. We are sympathetic and can relate our own stories but ultimately we are clueless.
                  No one understands what's going on or what might go on at a tribunal so just seek help.

Comment

Working...
                  X