• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settling things with HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settling things with HMRC

Hi there, looking for some advice

I got a letter early this year to settle affairs with HMRC, I've filled in information about a disguised remuneration scheme with Bedouin

I've received a document to sign to settle, what is called an 'offer to settle'. I'm happy to do, however, I'm not happy with the interest that is being applied.

So I've had the case appealed, the loan is from 2011-2012, and to a £14500 loan they've added an interest of £3700

Is there anything that can be done to remove the interest? It looks wrong that they are charging interest from 2.6% to 3%, which are numbers that have never been this good for savings accounts. Is it worth appealing this, using solicitors?

Any help will be appreciated

Originally posted by mistertach View Post

I got a letter early this year to settle affairs with HMRC, I've filled in information about a disguised remuneration scheme with Bedouin

I've received a document to sign to settle, what is called an 'offer to settle'. I'm happy to do, however, I'm not happy with the interest that is being applied.

So I've had the case appealed, the loan is from 2011-2012, and to a £14500 loan they've added an interest of £3700

Is there anything that can be done to remove the interest? It looks wrong that they are charging interest from 2.6% to 3%, which are numbers that have never been this good for savings accounts. Is it worth appealing this, using solicitors?

Sadly not - HMRC are entitled to charge interest at their (legal defined) interest rates. see Interest rates for late and early payments - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

By glad your loans date from after the 2008 financial crisis - before then the interest could be easily double the amount owed within a few years.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      By glad your loans date from after the 2008 financial crisis - before then the interest could be easily double the amount owed within a few years.
      Indeed. I know people who are facing interest bills, from the early 2000s, of 80%. On £100k tax, that's an extra £80k!
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by mistertach View Post

Also, if you arrange for a 'Time to Pay' agreement rather than one off payment, an additional 1% forward interest will also be added due to the (so called) risk for HMRC.
        Last edited by regron; 10 September 2021, 13:59.
        STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Working...
        X