• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC loan charge refund rejected (obviously)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regron View Post

Hoey isn't doing too bad.... small drop in the ocean, but if fighting is your only option other than losing everything anyway, then I'll take it.
    This is the issue, HMRC have managed to create such a divide in personal circumstances, it dillutes the fighting numbers whereby people have to make their own personal choices which is understandable, but furstrating.
    Hoey only works for you if your circumstances are similar to theirs.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Maybe I'm too cynical but I'd be surprised if any of these cases succeed in removing scheme users' liability. It's very hard these days to persuade courts to side with anyone involved in tax avoidance. If Judges can conjure up a way of ruling in favour HMRC, they will!
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        Maybe I'm too cynical but I'd be surprised if any of these cases succeed in removing scheme users' liability. It's very hard these days to persuade courts to side with anyone involved in tax avoidance. If Judges can conjure up a way of ruling in favour HMRC, they will!
        You are no less cynical than I am....

Comment

It's frustrating enough that hmrc blackmailed me into settling without ever having proven legally that I owe that money. THen they send me a letter inviting me to apply for a refund and when i do they reject it. Adding insult to injury.

I will almost certainly not appeal as seems not worth it.

I hope one day someone takes these jokers to court and wins based on the fact hMRC never legally proved that the money was owed. This will then open the floodgates for others to get their money back.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Hoey only works for you if your circumstances are similar to theirs.
            Hence my 'Drop in the ocean' comment. As with all of this mess, it all comes down to personal circumstances.
            STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

You are no less cynical than I am....
              I am sure it was yourslef who said at one point (long, long time ago and not verbatim), that HMRC/HMT would not budge on the loan charge when it was set out. Unfortunatley, I don't know if it is me, or since the Forum was spruced up, but I cannot find that exchange of message. Not a dig, or anything like that but, regardless of the outcome, there was a review and it was amended. Just the other side of the coin and if I have the wrong person (because it was definitely said by someone) then obviously I offer my apologies.
              STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

I am sure it was yourslef who said at one point (long, long time ago and not verbatim), that HMRC/HMT would not budge on the loan charge when it was set out. Unfortunatley, I don't know if it is me, or since the Forum was spruced up, but I cannot find that exchange of message. Not a dig, or anything like that but, regardless of the outcome, there was a review and it was amended. Just the other side of the coin and if I have the wrong person (because it was definitely said by someone) then obviously I offer my apologies.
                HMRC didn't until MPs / Parliament forced them to.

Comment

HMT did though and they worked hand in glove with HMRC. So the post was correct.
                  However, the changes that were made were down to Boris being made PM and him being on record that he would review it if he was. That was mainly due to LCAG work but in the end it was a bit fortunate. Had May/Hammond remained in place there would have been nothing regardless of MPs' pressure. And I probably wouldn't be here to write this. Only just hanging on as it is.

Comment

Hence my 'Drop in the ocean' comment. As with all of this mess, it all comes down to personal circumstances.
                    Not really, I suspect it comes down to luck of draw as to which scheme you signed up with and the methods used / peculiarities within that scheme.

I cannot for a second believe that any contractor picked a scheme based on the schemes internal workings.

Comment

And exactly how and why do you think that happened? Think 'dammit chloe' covers that very well.

Comment

Working...
                      X