• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ok - now I'm confused

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick update.
    Having had another envelope from HMRC on 28 Dec 2022, I emailed them to ask what my origin letter actually meant. Finally got a response (3 Feb) and got a sort of apology "I would also like to apologise for how our letter of 24 August 2020 was worded as it has conveyed the wrong impression to you" - so my fault then!.

Anyway, Eek has it correct - HMRC want the money!

Maybe some good news for the email - a some year's loans are now not included: 2002/3 and 2003/4 and some loans from 2004/5 (all from Edge). Some loans for 2004/5 are included (Greenbay) and so are 2005/6 (Edge again). According to HMRC I have open enquiries for these 2 returns opened Jan 2007 and Jan 2008 respectively.

I have some questions if any of you could help?
    1) Presuambly HMRC can keep these open enquiries (CoP8 from memory) open indefinately? I might be remembering incorrectly, but I seem to recall that in the booket I was sent at the time, HMRC said they would keep me updated on a yearly basis. But that could well be a false memory.
    2) Having agreed to settle several years ago for ALL my loans (HMRC then never actually asked for the money) would I be correct in thinking that the settlement amount will now decrease as not all my loans are included?
    3) My original settlement amount didn't include any interest - are HMRC likely to include that now?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by InNZ View Post

I have some questions if any of you could help?
      1) Presuambly HMRC can keep these open enquiries (CoP8 from memory) open indefinately? I might be remembering incorrectly, but I seem to recall that in the booket I was sent at the time, HMRC said they would keep me updated on a yearly basis. But that could well be a false memory.
      2) Having agreed to settle several years ago for ALL my loans (HMRC then never actually asked for the money) would I be correct in thinking that the settlement amount will now decrease as not all my loans are included?
      3) My original settlement amount didn't include any interest - are HMRC likely to include that now?

Thanks
      Yes - Unfortunately HMRC can leave enquiries open indefinitely. Of course you can force the issue by applying to the FTT for closure, but few do.

Any years that were not “open”, are now beyond HMRC’s reach so that’s the good news. The bad news is however that HMRC have now found their magic key, and the loan charge was complete unnecessary - at least for those considered to have an employer (Hoey) (NB it may be worth checking which type of scheme you were in)

HMRC will definitely want interest unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
      X