• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

10% taken off loans and salary as an expense when settling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    Wow! You and your chums drove someone off this forum who was freely giving pertinent advice and the best you can come up with is write to your MP?

Absolutely awesome!
    Chums? Blood stucking parasites would be a better bet.

Webberg of course wasn't one of the in crowd who made money from selling the schemes, he was making money from helping people extract themselves from the consequences the in crowd had left those people in.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
      Wow! You and your chums drove someone off this forum who was freely giving pertinent advice and the best you can come up with is write to your MP?

Absolutely awesome!
      I'll have to start calling you Dave2 because you're as bad as the pheasant stalking me for bird seed.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I've asked HMRC about the 10% deduction of loan amounts and salary as an expense when settling and they replied saying that it's up to each individual tax payer to make an expenses claim when settling.

I am intrigued how any individual knew to do this, ask for this when settling. I don't believe it was published any where within settlement terms?

I'd really appreciate hearing how any one was aware of this.

The email I received from HMRC prior to this latest reply was them telling me how they have to treat every tax payer the same, fairly and equally. What a joke.

Comment

Hi All, I need help with settlement with HMRC. Did anyone have their expenses accepted by HMRC? If so, can you please PM me.
          Thanks.

Comment

I asked about claiming expenses against a settlement figure and was told to submit a claim. I was allowed 10% of the expenses claimed (without receipts) against the settlement. I was told this was the maximum permissible.

Comment

Hi all,

Can I please ask those who claimed the expenses allowance if these expenses were detailed on your original tax returns?

Comment

Originally posted by nickyboyc View Post
                Hi all,

Can I please ask those who claimed the expenses allowance if these expenses were detailed on your original tax returns?
                No they were not and they were also not reimbursed by my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  he was making money from helping people extract themselves from the consequences
                  So, how is their court case going? Are Big Group any closer to getting their clients off the hook for either the loan charge or the underlying tax due?

Comment

I settled with HMRC without the 10% claimed of the loan and already paid 1/3rd of the settlement....

Any chance I can get the 10% off? Could I write them a letter telling they stipulated they should treat everyone fairly, equally and the same? Maybe they'd give me a 10% reduction?

Thank you

Comment

By all means write to them. I suspect they will reply with either or all of.... "you should have asked", "you should have known to ask".
                      The expenses allowance HMRC have seemingly allowed in a number of case is not published in their settlement terms anywhere.

I am going to do a Freedom of Information request asking HMRC how many tax payers settling disguised remuneration schemes were allowed the 10% expenses allowance for all years they were settling when a) these expenses were not on their original tax return and b) no evidence provided of the expenses i.e a blanket 10% expenses allowance was applied.

Once I have the response I will decide where to go next. I am hoping my MP will get involved. For the years I've settled it would have reduced my bill by more than £10k. HMRC don't give a f88k about treating people equally and fairly. It's just about getting the most out of each tax payer they can. It's why they don't tell you or even ask you if you may have incurred any expenses when calculating your settlement figures. For the years I've settled they never looked at or referred to my tax returns in any case.

Comment

Working...
                      X