• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC rejected settlement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC rejected settlement

Hi

Had quite a few stressful days. HMRC has rejected my signed letter of offer citing my scanned copy I sent didn't have the appendix attached to it.

Letter sent two days before deadline and they called me to confirm if it could be sent by email as the letter will not reach by post before deadline. I consented and after returning my signed letter through email now got feedback that due to.appendix page missing I lost the opportunity to settle. Bit harsh and as it all happened close to deadline nothing can be corrected. Been asked to declare loans in 2018/19 and cannot escalate the matter further.

Any suggestions.on how this can be sorted out? Planning to reach out to my MP to see if he can help. If appendix had a signature box it would have made me to send them too. But cannot believe that loan charge has ended this way for me.

Originally posted by contractor1981 View Post
    Hi

Had quite a few stressful days. HMRC has rejected my signed letter of offer citing my scanned copy I sent didn't have the appendix attached to it.

Letter sent two days before deadline and they called me to confirm if it could be sent by email as the letter will not reach by post before deadline. I consented and after returning my signed letter through email now got feedback that due to.appendix page missing I lost the opportunity to settle. Bit harsh and as it all happened close to deadline nothing can be corrected. Been asked to declare loans in 2018/19 and cannot escalate the matter further.

Any suggestions.on how this can be sorted out? Planning to reach out to my MP to see if he can help. If appendix had a signature box it would have made me to send them too. But cannot believe that loan charge has ended this way for me.
    Call them as soon as you can and let them know what has happened.

Comment

Hi

They really are bastards who play by their own rules. Unless you are lucky, your MP will do diddly squat but the sooner you contact them, the better.

I think you should contact HMRC again and point out, you agreed to them sending by email when they in fact, would have been out of time if they had used the post. You acceeded to their request as a gesture of goodwill and intent. To now be told because the appendix was missing, you missed the cut off is beyond unreasonable.

Did they point out in their email that returning of the appendix was essential? You need to look for any minor discrepancy in their actions to support your claim.

Unfortunately at the end of the day, they have the cards stacked in their favour but I wish you good luck.

Comment

Did you send the settlement details to them via snail mail, too, including the Appendix page?
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
          They really are bastards who play by their own rules. Unless you are lucky, your MP will do diddly squat but the sooner you contact them, the better.

I think you should contact HMRC again and point out, you agreed to them sending by email when they in fact, would have been out of time if they had used the post. You acceeded to their request as a gesture of goodwill and intent. To now be told because the appendix was missing, you missed the cut off is beyond unreasonable.

Did they point out in their email that returning of the appendix was essential? You need to look for any minor discrepancy in their actions to support your claim.

Unfortunately at the end of the day, they have the cards stacked in their favour but I wish you good luck.

The mail that arrived didn't speak about attaching the appendix. The person who got consent to send the letter via email didn't mention anything about sending the appendix. The settlement letter in itself doesn't say return appendix. The only place it's mentioned is in the covering letter and they are using it against me.

Yes HMRC is creating its own rules. Law states settlement should be fully sorted before 30th September. They have decided that receipt of signed offer letter is suffice now. Which means loads of people are yet to see the final settlement pack. This is merely letter of offer.

Yes I'm going to call HMRC again and keep calling them. Hope they come out with a procedure to deal with people who had fallen through the cracks due to the last minute rush.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            Did you send the settlement details to them via snail mail, too, including the Appendix page?

Nopes. All of the previous letters I signed and sent was via post. The difference is most of the packs are stapled and you just need to sign it and send the full stapled pack. Where it was I'm sure I just sent the settlement details without appendix in the past. But through post.

Comment

got the dreaded/expected " you missed the deadline" letter today. which is mightily impressive for HMRC considering it has taken weeks previously for a reply. Letter sent Aug 25th. Emails sent 29th/30th.
              ah well...will try and see if MP can help. after cobbling the money together to pay settlement, having to go back into this process again is some pain in the hole!
              and as of now, i've no idea what the monetary impact of not settling is as yet, great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by DanJackiels View Post
                got the dreaded/expected " you missed the deadline" letter today. which is mightily impressive for HMRC considering it has taken weeks previously for a reply. Letter sent Aug 25th. Emails sent 29th/30th.
                ah well...will try and see if MP can help. after cobbling the money together to pay settlement, having to go back into this process again is some pain in the hole!
                and as of now, i've no idea what the monetary impact of not settling is as yet, great fun.
                Sorry to hear that. In the same boat and been repeatedly advised to add the loan amounts to 2019 tax return and contact HMRC for a payment plan. Not sure why they are so arsed about people trying to settle with them

Comment

Sorry to hear that. In the same boat and been repeatedly advised to add the loan amounts to 2019 tax return and contact HMRC for a payment plan. Not sure why they are so arsed about people trying to settle with them
                  the frustrating thing for me, is that they said in letter, thanks for emails dated 29th/30th etc...but you've missed the deadline. and a letter, posted arrives within a week. it's almost like they decided there is a certain amount we can settle...and the rest...ignore and send a templated letter saying we can't offer 2017 terms anymore.

Comment

Just think about it?

The template letter saying "you've not settled, disclose/pay the loan charge" has been ready for weeks.

All HMRC had to do was remove those who had settled and the rest were were just blitzed away.

No conspiracy, just efficient admin.

I only wish the same efficiency could have been applied to settlement - but it wasn't and that fight continues.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                    X