• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AML 2019 Loan Charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking action

Originally posted by MayMadness View Post
    That is interesting. hmm... My MP is Tory and they always got back to me in a 2 week time frame but I haven't written specifically about this yet cause it was physically making me ill. I'll do it when I get the chance this week to see how they respond.

In the mean time...Could try emailing or writing again with the following tactics as your first line.

1. I would like to vote Tory but I have concerns about the Loan Charge.
    2. I fear that I may need to renounce my support for the Tory party because....
    3. Dear MP, Could you please share your thoughts regarding the 2019 Loan Charge and how you feel it will impact the UK. (leave it open ended for them to show their cards and then politely raise your concerns.)

End with ....
    "I look forward to hearing from you within a 2 week time period from the date of this email".

There is a website that claims to send emails to MP's. I don't quite get it but haven't looked at it thoroughly.
    https://www.writetothem.com/about-qa#govt

Take a look at the suggestions of "What should I do if my MP does not respond".

As for myths.... I have heard from local councils that if you would like your MP's attention to then attempt the following.

1. Handwritten letters
    2. Visiting your local surgeries.
    3. State your 'interest' or 'allegiance' or 'wavering devotion' to the party. They do not want to lose voters and want to gain new ones.

I appreciate these are daunting tasks but its a legitimate avenue to pursue and raises awareness. If enough people flag in an area or within a party. They will be hard pressed to ignore it.

You could also approach the other parties in your area.

Word of advise about letters and face to face meetings. MP's are apparently, how I have observed NHS staff, skittish about anything over emotional in the form of assertiveness or anger. Any sign of 'perceived' aggression is claimed as a form of 'abusive behaviour' and hence more likely to stonewall people. I personally think it is unfair because a natural human reaction when stressed is to get angry. Have someone else come with you if you would like support at a surgery. Phrase things verbally, even from the start, "I am sorry but I may come across very strongly but I am frightened and on the point of desperation. Please help me."

If anyone wants help writing letters...than please contact me. And you really need to make sure your name and address is on the correspondence.

MM
    Has anyone sought legal advice to bring a judicial review to court to get this legislation halted or amended to 2017 onwards? Litigants can do this.

I too have written to my local mp to rouse support and would suggest people to keep doing it and sign the online petition in regards to the legislation. There is only around 500 signatures but it needs 100,000 to get a debate in parliament.

That is the end result, I've got fresh doubts about voting for Tory in the next election and will look to make this clear. Like many others I don't have the huge sums that will be owed and it's painful stress night and day.

Also, we need to start a campaign to get media coverage guys and take action on this. ?

Comment

Originally posted by CockneyRed View Post
      @mr_786 - I too am getting mixed up numbers from Knox/PTS whatever they call themselves. It's a fecking joke. @Kentishlad, I am in same boat with MP not replying - he too is a Tory.. Not sure what else to do to get them to listen/understand. My focus at work is on these threads and past emails from the cnuts at AML- Carnegie etc. Life at home is strained to say the least, Not sure how we'll survive. I am looking at a second job at the moment to help pay for this extortion. Will take me to a 12-13 hour day not including commute for my 'day' job ... thanks HMRC
      Hello i am in the same boat as you, what si the outcome from AML though on your case?

Comment

Employer's NI in Settlement/Loan charge

My colleague's accountant mentioned tht HMRC are charging Employer's NIC as part of settlement on top of Tax, Employee's NIC and Interests. He has received a few settlement figures recently and therefore advised us to hold on from settlement...

Has anyone yet received settlement figures from HMRC and can you confirm it please?

Do we also need to consider employer's NIC if we go via Loan Charge 2019?

Everyday something new is getting exposed ....God help us ..
        Last edited by mr_786; 16 May 2018, 20:20.

Comment

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
          I certainly wouldn't beat yourself up on it as its not a case of being naïve. I've worked in tax for many a year and this retrospective taxation isn't something I ever expected to come across. The best way forward is doing exactly what your doing - keep talking to people on this forum (and not just the advisors, there's many forum users on here now who have done their own research and are incredibly knowledgeable about it all - Lone Ranger for example is excellent for this forum) then once you fully understand all the options, make a decision then. There's still time before you have to register for settlement and whilst may not seem it at the moment, it will be over sooner or later and can move forward in life. Obv I'm happy to assist if you have any questions along the way.
          How do I get in touch with you?

Comment

Media campaign

I'm looking at taking this campaign to the next level and start writing to the newspapers to raise awareness. Starting with the Evening Standard then will look at alternatives like the Metro and daily Mirror.

The full epidemic of this and the effect of this can send shockwaves and the likes of politicians will have to stand up and act. It hasn't been highlighted by parliament that in fact it's the middle/working classes effected by this and indeed has made people vulnerable.

If it all possible, I could do with a few people to come forward if we get an interview request including the guy who has to cater for his disabled wife. We can go anon or give our real names it upto you. I need good facts. There's another column that says 200,000 people have registered for CLSO 2 weeks before the deadline so we could be looking at far more. You can email me at [email protected]

Comment

Please write to your MP, more MPs are joining the EDM, it could help.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/p...ession=2017-19

Comment

Originally posted by JackH1 View Post
                Has anyone sought legal advice to bring a judicial review to court to get this legislation halted or amended to 2017 onwards? Litigants can do this.
                Yes, in 2010 - see this post: https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2553597
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by mr_786 View Post
                  My colleague's accountant mentioned tht HMRC are charging Employer's NIC as part of settlement on top of Tax, Employee's NIC and Interests. He has received a few settlement figures recently and therefore advised us to hold on from settlement...

Has anyone yet received settlement figures from HMRC and can you confirm it please?

Do we also need to consider employer's NIC if we go via Loan Charge 2019?

Everyday something new is getting exposed ....God help us ..
                  Payment of NICs depends on the type of scheme. Typically if you were an employed contractor then you shouldn't be paying NICs. No doubt HMRC will try to make you pay NICs, after all they have no duty of care except to squeeze as much £ out of you as they can. But they will need to follow the guidance that they themselves provided.

Interest is only payable on Protected years where you have an Open Enquiry or HMRC are not out of time to open one.

Comment

I have a friend who is a teacher and concerned that she was involved in this. I think she is OK but it is my understanding that this really extends across many employment sectors.

It would be ideal to contact

Teaching Unions
                    Perhaps any Union? Might want to concentrate on the Health Industry first
                    Construction
                    Freelance forum sites
                    Mums net
                    Councils

Let them know this is going back to 1999. If they are impacted, or anyone on here that doesn't already know. You could direct them to the Loan Charge Action Group website who is working on this.

If you have any free time or know anyone who could help raise awareness...then please spread the word. All we can do is try and that is dependent on all of us working together in anyway that can contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      Interest is only payable on Protected years where you have an Open Enquiry or HMRC are not out of time to open one.
                      Thanks for clarification.

WRT LC2019, What I have been told is:

If you don't settle and loan charge kicks in, then HMRC will open enquiries for all the years in which you have declared the loans.

Then they will take a long time to get back to you for your liability , but meantime, their tax meter will carry on charging interest for the opened up protected years ...

Is that right?

Comment

Working...
                      X