• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sympathy for the Devil

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by InNZ View Post
    Phil. With regards to 2019LC, do HMRC have plans for those domiciled overseas?
    Related question.

I know HMRC have MARD agreements with EU countries and some other countries.

But how far do they go to chase debtors abroad? Are there places in the world which are relatively safe from their tentacles?

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
      Related question.

But how far do they go to chase debtors abroad? Are there places in the world which are relatively safe from their tentacles?
      you can run .........................................

Comment

Originally posted by PhilM View Post
        Hi, thanks for this. It is ok as PhilM is not my real name.
        It's not DarrenU is it ??
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by InNZ View Post
          Phil. With regards to 2019LC, do HMRC have plans for those domiciled overseas?
          They will just treat like everyone else. Mutual agreement to assist in recovery of debt may be in place (all eu countries and a couple others) which they can use once LC19 kicks in (before that its more difficult as MARD cant be used where the debt is in dispute).
          Would they bother with 10k when someone is in Cambodia and holds no UK assets? Well it would be a lot of work for a relatively (to them) small amount so perhaps not (though that's not official advice as I'm unaware of any de minimis). Would they go for 1m from France? Most definitely.

On the whole its best to assume they will chase.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
            Related question.

See above answer, there certainly isn't a list of countries which I could list where safety from HMRC would be guaranteed. As a tax advisor I certainly cant advice everyone runs off! (and I honestly wouldn't think it a good idea anyway). As mentioned above though...im unsure they would be chasing a minimal debt where no MARD is in place but I cant promise they wouldn't either. Best to assume they will.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              +1

Even if you find somewhere temporarily to hide, the rules keep changing. What may appear safe today will not appear safe tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                haha, yes id agree with this. Best to assume they will chase

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  +1

Even if you find somewhere temporarily to hide, the rules keep changing. What may appear safe today will not appear safe tomorrow.
                  Absolutely correct, you never know when/with which countries they could form new agreements.

Comment

PhilM,

Taking the retrospective argument out of this whole sorry mess for a minute. What HMRC seem to fail to realise, is due to them dragging their heals for so long, separating pre-2011 from post 2011, publishing CLSO varients that raise more questions than answers etc... they have forced many people into a position where they can no longer settle due to interest and penalties. I am one of those people, so unless there is a massive u-turn and realisation that we are not part of the mighty rich, they will get zilch from the likes of myself. They may be fine with that, but if you multiply me by a few thousand, they will lose out on a lot of revenue, whilst ruining careers and lives at the same time. Yet on the other hand, they are allowed to circumnavigate a Supreme Court decision which they invested millions in and come up with the most draconian and retrospective legislation ever, in the 2019 Loan Charge.
                    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      +1

so, if you're going to run.
                      Proper Planning and Preparation, Prevent's Piss Poor Performance

Comment

Working...
                      X