• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finance Bill 2017-18 V HMRC DR Settlement Terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luxCon View Post
    webberb, for clarity ; in this paragraph are you referring to those individuals who have settled a year under CLSO 1 and if the Fin Act is explicitly including or excluding them from the DR?
    It would have to explicitly exclude them from the 2019 charge. How would that play with the tax-avoiding public?

Comment

The structure of the clso1 settlement documentation is that there is a covering letter ( which says very clearly ALL years involved in a scheme to April 2011 are settled); and then the settlement doc itself which only refers to the tax for the open years ( plus interest) because this is the bit that deals with the actual money/ tax liability. Obviously this is a bit vague. So I asked the question(s) to get clarity and the answer I got was, in writing, that the settlement is for ALL years to April 2011 and I would be exempt from the 2019 loan charge.

All this happened in September this year, based on a submission for clso1 in June 2015.

I thought I was being helpful posting my settlement here but it seems people have entrenched views, as do I.

Mine are based on what HMRC have told me without expensive advice from a tax consultant. It’s good enough for me, and would be good enough in court if it came down to it, backed as it is by a legally binding agreement ( oops there I go again).

Comment

If I want to immerse myself in and buy into fear, I just need to turn on the News. I don’t need any more in my life.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by pimpernell View Post
          So I asked the question(s) to get clarity and the answer I got was, in writing, that the settlement is for ALL years to April 2011 and I would be exempt from the 2019 loan charge.
          Have you checked the letter recently because HMRC use special ink that disappears after a few weeks.

Comment

No. But you’ve got a point. It did say something about ‘self destruct 30 seconds after you sign it and pay’; but I keep getting flashbacks to 1960s American tv programmes anyway, so I ignored it.

Comment

The structure of the clso1 settlement documentation is that there is a covering letter ( which says very clearly ALL years involved in a scheme to April 2011 are settled); and then the settlement doc itself which only refers to the tax for the open years ( plus interest) because this is the bit that deals with the actual money/ tax liability. Obviously this is a bit vague. So I asked the question(s) to get clarity and the answer I got was, in writing, that the settlement is for ALL years to April 2011 and I would be exempt from the 2019 loan charge.

All this happened in September this year, based on a submission for clso1 in June 2015.

I thought I was being helpful posting my settlement here but it seems people have entrenched views, as do I.

Mine are based on what HMRC have told me without expensive advice from a tax consultant. It’s good enough for me, and would be good enough in court if it came down to it, backed as it is by a legally binding agreement ( oops there I go again).
              You say you didn't get advice from a tax consultant but did you get independent advice on the legally binding agreement or just take HMRC's word?

Comment

I also setted under CLSO1 and had a similar experience. Even though I had the contract of settlement stating they wouldn't ask for payment for the closed year I had included in the declaration, I wrote to them to check that the tax from the closed year wouldn't be included in the 2019 charge. They wrote back saying that the 2019 charge would not apply to the closed year as it was included in the settlement. This was in 2015 also.

I did have to pay IHT on all the loans when I got them written off in 2016, even the closed year.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
                  I also setted under CLSO1 and had a similar experience. Even though I had the contract of settlement stating they wouldn't ask for payment for the closed year I had included in the declaration, I wrote to them to check that the tax from the closed year wouldn't be included in the 2019 charge. They wrote back saying that the 2019 charge would not apply to the closed year as it was included in the settlement. This was in 2015 also.

I did have to pay IHT on all the loans when I got them written off in 2016, even the closed year.
                  How much was the IHY as a % of the total loans?

Is there a specific calculation that HMRC apply to get that %?

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post

Just to clarify, you wrote to them in 2015 asking if the 2019 loan charge applied?

Comment

Finance Bill 2017-18 V HMRC DR Settlement Terms

Originally posted by BrownOwl View Post
                      You say you didn't get advice from a tax consultant but did you get independent advice on the legally binding agreement or just take HMRC's word?
                      Yes I got independent advice. I asked my Mum. She didn’t tell me what I wanted hear, so I asked my brother. He said he was going down the pub and please don’t bother me with stupid questions. I was running out of options because i don’t have many people in my life. But I managed to get hold of the postman and I asked him and he said ‘will you sign here please’. It was a book on how to think positive from amazon, so I was dead chuffed. I got out my rose coloured glasses, took myself off to bed with a glass of warm milk and got completely lost somewhere between chanting ‘om’ and telling myself how really really valuable I am.I forgot to ask anyone after that. Silly me.
                      Last edited by pimpernell; 13 December 2017, 22:05.

Comment

Working...
                      X