• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How we can get political backing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    IR35 was drafted by a consultancy.
    The consultancies back the party in government
    The consultancies are now benefiting from IR35 changes in the public sector.

Start with asking about the conflict of interest that took place 20 years ago; that's about the only way you'd get it all unraveled.
    FTFY

Businesses back and lobby those who have the power.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by HMRC made Atlas Shrug View Post

Which party is going to tell 60,000+ voters to ugger off.
      Hammond will on Wednesday this week, just watch his budget. My accountant who is a dye in the wool tory, said to me he could understand if it was a labour chancellor who was screwing the self employed but, it is not. it is the tories.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        Hammond will on Wednesday this week, just watch his budget. My accountant who is a dye in the wool tory, said to me he could understand if it was a labour chancellor who was screwing the self employed but, it is not. it is the tories.
        Actually it's Hammond working on biased advice from HMT's civil servants who in turn get their data from HMRC, with nobody performing any kind of sanity check. Which is why we need to be banging our MPs on their collective head to make them take notice.

The economic case for not doing this has been made very clearly, incidentally but we're dealing with people whoa aren't listening.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Fascinating. 20 years too late, but hey...

There are several bodies attacking HMG over the whole support for contractors thing. They simply aren't listening.
          That is my point. Fighting HMRC in little groups are not getting us anywhere, we are being destroyed. We are not going to get anywhere without political backing and the only way to get it is by having a large block vote. My guess is only if we bundle our votes, will politicians speak up for us. Until then, game over.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
            The country is strapped for cash.

And you couldn't find easier targets to squeeze than us. We got paid in tax free loans FFS.

Don't expect a single ounce of support from politicians.
            By your logic it is also fair game to go after pension contributions or ISA / SIPP dividends, they are the same thing just by a different name. Tax avoidance! It was the law and we all followed professional advice at the time after HMRC tried IR35 on us because HMRC said we are permanent employees.

Why do you think did Cameron give us a referendum, because he believed in democracy ? He gave us the referendum because they were hemorrhaging votes. Politicians are muppets, sorry, puppets that will play to the tune of block votes. Think pensioners.

I would say everybody with half a brain knows the country is financially sliding down the flusher but robbing us is not going to make a difference apart from destroy many people's lives.
            Last edited by HMRC made Atlas Shrug; 19 November 2017, 22:55.

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
              There is an alternative to a petition which has been proven to have exactly the same success rate:

Find an empty field in the middle of nowhere, look up at the sky and shout very loudly until you have a sore throat.

Then go and soothe your throat with a bottle of Bollinger, knowing that there's 40 quid less that HMRC will get when they make you destitute.
              Your solution is a good one which I already tried but not with Bollinger. On my budget I go for the bubbly you have to shake to get fizz. ;-) Problem is once my brain recovers I'm back to this mess.

Think about this for block voting not working. Have you ever seen a politician go after pensioners. There is your example of a block vote working perfectly no matter that the young people are being sacrificed in the process.

I do agree with your point to leave as little as possible for HMRC to get their mitts on. My guess, there are going to be more people (contractors) knocking on the government's door for handouts during their retirement.
              Last edited by HMRC made Atlas Shrug; 19 November 2017, 22:57.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                IR35 was drafted by a consultancy.
                The consultancies back the Tories.
                The consultancies are now benefiting from IR35 changes in the public sector.

Start with asking about the conflict of interest that took place 20 years ago; that's about the only way you'd get it all unraveled.
                I agree apart from, conflict of interest are in Labour also. If Labour was against it why did they not change it. They are all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
                  Which party is going to want to be seen siding with 60,000+ people, who got paid in loans, thereby depriving the Exchequer of several £billion in tax?

Unless, of course, this is the party you had in mind:
                  https://www.omrlp.com

If we can get a block vote large enough, the party that wants to win the next election will listen. Labour and Conservatives are too close at the moment to ignore such a vote.

Comment

Originally posted by HMRC made Atlas Shrug View Post
                    Your solution is a good one which I already tried but not with Bollinger. On my budget I go for the bubbly you have to shake to get fizz. ;-) Problem is once my brain recovers I'm back to this mess.

Think about this for block voting not working. Have you ever seen a politician go after pensioners. There is your example of a block vote working perfectly no matter that the young people are being sacrificed in the process.

I do agree with your point to leave as little as possible for HMRC to get their mitts on. My guess, there are going to be more people (contractors) knocking on the government's door for handouts during their retirement.
                    Now that the lying house-flipper, Dork (aka David Gauke), is in charge of DWP, I think you'll find that he's going to screw over the nation's pensioners without batting an eyelash.

If you ever get to become a pensioner that is, after they put up the retiring age to 70. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39352654

Unless your name is HMRC, where they will assume you retire at 55 so they can take a slab of your pension if you owe them anything.
                    Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                    http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

You will never get political backing for loan schemes. It is a very weak case anyway.

You are best off settling via big group.

Comment

Working...
                      X