• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How we can get political backing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In theory, as HMRC claim 65,000 contractors in this position, getting together a significant number who have a common interest, should be easy.

It's not.

If you want to get this organised, ask yourself if you are prepared to spend perhaps 2 to 3 hours a working day, longer at weekends, to gather support and push the messages?

You may say that you are but can you do this at the end of month 3, in a year from now, later?

Do not underestimate the work required.

Do not expect somebody else to do this either.

Commercial firms (like mine and others) have built client bases that are significant. We have tried to join forces with those other firms and been firmly (not always politely) rebuffed. We therefore have to plough our own furrow and I can tell you we are a long way short t 65,000!
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

60K contractors join leading political party en masse and put a stooge sympathetic to us at the helm ?

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        In theory, as HMRC claim 65,000 contractors in this position, getting together a significant number who have a common interest, should be easy.

It's not.

If you want to get this organised, ask yourself if you are prepared to spend perhaps 2 to 3 hours a working day, longer at weekends, to gather support and push the messages?

You may say that you are but can you do this at the end of month 3, in a year from now, later?

Do not underestimate the work required.

Do not expect somebody else to do this either.

Commercial firms (like mine and others) have built client bases that are significant. We have tried to join forces with those other firms and been firmly (not always politely) rebuffed. We therefore have to plough our own furrow and I can tell you we are a long way short t 65,000!

My understanding of the nature of people (more so contractors), they like their independence and freedom to do what they want. There is no way in a month of Sundays in a very warm place, I will ever contemplate taking on anything like this, even if I was paid an outhouse load of money. I do not have the brains or the patience.

I think most people do not realise how vitally important the work is you guys are trying to do, they are going to wake up when it is too late.

Comment

Protect the lawbreakers at all costs

The problem with our corrupt version of "democracy", it is bought and paid for with no accountability when they are found out. If you are connected you are protected. Our politicians look (short-term) to the next election, not the long term future of the country or its people.

Take what is going on with these loans at the moment. The country needs money. Our government (all political parties) and the main media (e.g. BBC) are making us out to be criminals. This is a good example of psychological warfare (brainwashing) by our own government and main media against us and we allow it!

The (Labour, but the others would have done the same) government was able to "find" billions in a matter of minutes, to bail out actual crooks that broke many laws !!! None of these individuals went to jail or had to pay a penny of their own money for their misbehaviour. Their employers were "fined" (what a joke) but the individuals did not have to pay a penny in fact they received bonuses! These individuals were rewarded for stealing our money and actually breaking the law.

We small contractors on the other hand, have to pay out of our own pocket because we followed the law as it stood.

The way this corrupt system works, break the law and as long as you look after politicians, the government will look after you. Follow the law and you will get shafted when they need money.

Comment

Why your government can shaft you and your retirement

People do not realise, the further away from the seat of power (government) and the bigger a government is, the less that government has your interests at heart. This is the same throughout human history, it is fact. Until people realise only small local government will ever look after them first . . . . they are supporting being shafted by large unaccountable government.

Let me put it this way.

Does anybody seriously think your government (UK including devolved governments) puts the interests of you, small villages or cities on the same level as where that government is located.

Or the UK government puts the interests of you, small villages or cities, "The North" (remember the desolate North?), Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland on the same level as London.

Or the EU puts you, small villages or cities, "The (desolate) North", Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, London on the same level as Brussels (EU).

Look at where the money is spent.

See how the larger a "government" is, the smaller and less important you are. You become irrelevant accept for getting tax from.

Comment

HMRC is destroying your and future taxpayers’ future and retirement

By HMRC robbing us now as a short-term “fix”, they are destroying the long-term future & retirement of thousands of families. Our government claims they are getting in billions by doing this to us. They are not telling the public of the social impact or future implications that is going to cost more (I’m guessing) than they will get in by going after our schemes.

Like many contractors (I guess), I do not have a pension. Just another “benefit” of having been a contractor. I spent money and put money aside for my retirement, based on what I was left with after taxes and fees at the time. HMRC gutted my savings with their settlement and now they also want IHT after having included it in their own settlement!? No pension, hardly any savings left, at the end of my career. Guess what is going to happen when I (like thousands others) run out of money, thousands of us become a burden to the then taxpayers.

The current (short-term) immoral unfair action by the sociopaths working at HMRC is creating this problem for (long-term) taxpayers in the future. Saving . . . . my

Comment

This is to HMRC Made Atlas Shrug Would you be able to PM me on here to speak more. i posted on another thread and am also thinking about what we can do to have our story heard. I cannot PM on here, so hope you can reach me yourself.

Comment

Anyone who goes do this path will end up as mad as me.....

Comment

Originally posted by SummerhillLass View Post
                    This is to HMRC Made Atlas Shrug Would you be able to PM me on here to speak more. i posted on another thread and am also thinking about what we can do to have our story heard. I cannot PM on here, so hope you can reach me yourself.
                    I do not have the function to PM, sorry.

I saw your post about getting someone to investigate this, do a program on it. An excellent idea but our problem is, people. People are unaware, head in the sand or do not want to pull together. Many trust in one of these groups thinking they stand a chance via a legal route so they are sitting back. This is our downfall, we are divided and time is running out. Not good.

Your idea is an excellent one but our government(s) & HMRC used propaganda so well against us, which reporter will risk his/her career for the evil law breaking tax evaders the public are told we are. If we got such a program made, which platform will broadcast this piece of "Russian interference" into this beautiful piece of corrupt unfair British system we have in this country.

I (like you ?) believe the only way to win is through the hearts and minds of the public (voters ---> politicians), to tell our side. But I have no idea whom to contact or where to start. That is why I started this post, in the hope someone has experience (contacts). I'm more than happy to help with something like this but I'm the wrong person to run with it, especially since most people can't be bothered.

My case is a bit different to others since I already settled and have a settlement contract with HMRC which HMRC is breaking regarding IHT. In my case, what I want is for HMRC to stick to their own settlement agreement. However I'm more than happy to add my name to any effort to stop this madness, even if it is to help others. I'm just not going to spend my time trying to fight HMRC to no benefit to myself, when other people don't want to speak up.

I think my next step is to write to the head of HMRC, local MP and any other official body I can find that may help. But as a loner, I'm not sure anybody will listen. All +/- 60,000 ish of us need to write letters, I'm only one vote.

If my letters do not help me, I will go see a lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Anyone who goes do this path will end up as mad as me.....
                      Do not stop or turn around, I will bump into you.

Comment

Working...
                      X