• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zal View Post
    Is there a specific person I can speak directly to, who deals with this, at HMRC?
    Do you have their contact details? Just want to make doubly sure.
    Thanks.
    Does the CA form not have a contact number on?

Comment

Just to be clear, you if you agree to CA then you will have to settle(which will cover the APN).

If you do not agree to CA then you can either pay the APN or not. You can incur penalties/surcharges of up to 50%. And probably will.

HMRC have been taking people who have not paid their APN to bankruptcy court.

Comment

HMRC will not advise you on anything and I have no doubt they will not tell you what to put on your FNs.

Basically you complete the FN by telling them what steps you are taking ie agree to end any dispute or appeal you have with them, are arranging to pay the disputed amount ie asking the CTD team to allocate your CTD to the APN references, enclosing a cheque or making a payment via BACS \ Faster Payments etc.

You then tell them how much you are going to pay. This really is the full amount stated on your APNs. If you try and be clever and put anything less than this amount, HMRC may say you havent taken full corrective action. You then sign and date the FN and submit it before the corrective action date.

If everything is in order, they will then send you details of the amount of interest and surcharges \ penalties you must pay and the date they should receive this. Once you have done this, you should get confirmation that your tax dispute has been settled in full. If you dont get this, you need to ask them to send you confirmation of this so they do not come back at a later date and ask for money \ send you penalties and surcharges.
        Last edited by washed up contractor; 7 November 2017, 22:20. Reason: Typo

Comment

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Originally posted by luxCon View Post
          Surely this is not settling the matter. This is just paying the APN for now and settle a different amount later?? I understood at the moment HMRC do not settle.

Clarification from anyone?
          In conjunction with ending any appeal you may have, paying the amount they say you owe plus interest and any surcharges \ penalties, yes, it is settling.

I do not know where you get the idea from that HMRC will not settle if you agree in full to their demands and pay all monies owed (including interest etc).

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
            In conjunction with ending any appeal you may have, paying the amount they say you owe plus interest and any surcharges \ penalties, yes, it is settling.

I do not know where you get the idea from that HMRC will not settle if you agree in full to their demands and pay all monies owed (including interest etc).
            At the moment HMRC are not settling loan schemes. They will settle DTA schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              so anything you had with mtm from 2001/2 -> 2007-08 ... those dta schemes with them that are covered by the BN66 law ... that is at its end game sadly.

anything post march 2008 is the loan scheme (newquay or rathowen) .. so will get caught up in the prospective "2019 loan charge" when that gets finalised and enacted

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                HMRC will not advise you on anything and I have no doubt they will not tell you what to put on your FNs.

Basically you complete the FN by telling them what steps you are taking ie agree to end any dispute or appeal you have with them, are arranging to pay the disputed amount ie asking the CTD team to allocate your CTD to the APN references, enclosing a cheque or making a payment via BACS \ Faster Payments etc.

You then tell them how much you are going to pay. This really is the full amount stated on your APNs. If you try and be clever and put anything less than this amount, HMRC may say you havent taken full corrective action. You then sign and date the FN and submit it before the corrective action date.

If everything is in order, they will then send you details of the amount of interest and surcharges \ penalties you must pay and the date they should receive this. Once you have done this, you should get confirmation that your tax dispute has been settled in full. If you dont get this, you need to ask them to send you confirmation of this so they do not come back at a later date and ask for money \ send you penalties and surcharges.
                Agreed. EXCEPT that you do not have to pay everything. Taking CA will avoid penalties.

I have started http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ve-action.html

Comment

At the moment HMRC are not settling loan schemes.
                  You might want to have a look at this: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ttlement-terms

Comment

I stand corrected

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
                      You might want to have a look at this: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ttlement-terms

I don't have a loan scheme.

I know people who had a loan scheme and settled. I know people who want to settle and currently cannot.

Is there a way for people who want to settle to proceed?

Comment

Working...
                      X