• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BIG GROUP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regron View Post
    Pre 2011 schemes = tax on loans received plus interest.

Post 2011 schemes = tax on loans, plus promoter fees (so tax on 100% of all invoices regardless of how much you actually received), plus class 4 NI, plus interest.

Also IHT is also a possibility depending on the structure of the schemes you were in, plus other parameters not totally clear. Just how HMRC like it.
    Is this stated somewhere in writing?

Comment

100% correct as it stands....let's hope it changes

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
      This is correct and if you have a closed year then there is no interest included.

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
        Pre 2011 schemes = tax on loans received plus interest.

Post 2011 schemes = tax on loans, plus promoter fees (so tax on 100% of all invoices regardless of how much you actually received), plus class 4 NI, plus interest.

Also IHT is also a possibility depending on the structure of the schemes you were in, plus other parameters not totally clear. Just how HMRC like it.
        Ok and the alternatives are:

1) Payback the loans

2) Declare the full consolidated loan amount in your 2018-19 tax return and incur PAYE and NIC but no interest, fees etc

Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
          This is correct and if you have a closed year then there is no interest included.
          Ok so you're saying that regardless of the year (pre or post 2011), interest will only be charged on open years?

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
            Yes, from HMRC themselves when I asked for settlement.
            STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by Silverskin View Post
              Ok so you're saying that regardless of the year (pre or post 2011), interest will only be charged on open years?
              You are confusing the LC and settling.. there is no interest with declaring loans in your tax return for 18/19. You will just get hit with the IT and NICs due on top of what you declared for that tax year.

For settling, you will pay interest on all years with the exception of closed years. Plus the additional what was written above.

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
                You are confusing the LC and settling.. there is no interest with declaring loans in your tax return for 18/19. You will just get hit with the IT and NICs due on top of what you declared for that tax year.

For settling, you will pay interest on all years with the exception of closed years. Plus the additional what was written above.
                Ok thanks. When you say with the exception of closed years, do you mean those tax years where you received a loan but that tax year is NOT "open" with respect to the loanee. I.e) HMRC have not sent you an enquiry or discovery assessment?

Just to be absolutely clear, let's say you only received a single £50k loan in the tax year 1999-2000 but there was never an enquiry or discovery assessment administered by HMRC. If you choose to settle that loan today, then you would pay PAYE tax but no NICs or interest. Correct?

Comment

Another quick question if I may.

What exactly is meant by 'promoters fees'?

Is this something that all schemes had or only some of them and you'd know if this applied to you?

I was not aware of paying any, but then I was not made aware of a lot of things...but without knowing this how can I work out a likely post 2011 settlement figure?

Comment

Originally posted by sallyann View Post
                    Another quick question if I may.

What exactly is meant by 'promoters fees'?

Is this something that all schemes had or only some of them and you'd know if this applied to you?

I was not aware of paying any, but then I was not made aware of a lot of things...but without knowing this how can I work out a likely post 2011 settlement figure?
                    The majority of the amount you didn't receive will likely have been the promoter fee

Comment

Originally posted by WalterWhite View Post
                      The majority of the amount you didn't receive will likely have been the promoter fee
                      So to be clear, we're being taxed on amounts we've PAID rather then received?

Comment

Working...
                      X