• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who pays the most tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    You're entirely correct (i've said the same thing here several times previously) - But I wish you'd stop saying 'more' and instead said something like 'a higher percentage'. To conflate a large percent of virtually nothing with a smaller percentage of a lot is to presuppose that people don't have any legitimate claim on their own earnings - only a percentage of them.

Supposing that I were rich - even if you think that I should pay more than poorer people, that money is still mine to give. Suggesting that I'm paying less than other men simply because I have more to pay is a very dishonest position to take. If I were rich I'd find it very insulting too.
    indeed sloppy writing. the poor will pay a higher percentage of their money in indirect taxes as richer people will either spend less of their money as a percentage on traditional goods or avoid / evade more tax.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      So your analogy is flawed. You would be better using two people losing 10% of body weight. The thirty stone one loses 3st, the 10st one loses a stone. The fat one lost 'more' but they both lost the same percentage.
      The difference is that the thirty stone one losing 3st isn't going to be health threatening, but a 1 stone loss for a ten stone person might be.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

indeed sloppy writing. the poor will pay a higher percentage of their money in indirect taxes as richer people will either spend less of their money as a percentage on traditional goods or avoid / evade more tax.
        VAT has to be a killer. Imagine accumulating 20% at every step of a 20 step production supply chain. The basics should be very cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          The difference is that the thirty stone one losing 3st isn't going to be health threatening, but a 1 stone loss for a ten stone person might be.
          sort of the illustration I was after, its more complicated than you think. The person may be 4'8"ft so could be officially obese or 6ft and underweight.

Comment

I guess after the UK 2015 elections, the scenario of tax policy will change. According to me, if the Conservative party promises to decrease the burden of tax from low income households, then there are bright chances for Conservatives to win these elections.

Comment

Indeed. And "the poor" will also collect a higher percentage of benefits compared to their income....

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                VAT has to be a killer. Imagine accumulating 20% at every step of a 20 step production supply chain. The basics should be very cheap.
                If you are a business you are allowed to reclaim the VAT spent on buying things. So you don't get a compounding up of VAT. VAT is a tax on private consumption not production.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  "Luxury goods" includes things like petrol to get to work, which is taxed at a ridiculous rate. But it's hard to see how means tested petrol could work.
                  It sort of is, roughly speaking. Poor people buy small cars which use less petrol, rich people buy petrol guzzling cars which use more
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    It sort of is, roughly speaking. Poor people buy old cars which use more petrol, rich people buy new ECO cars which use less
                    FTFY

Comment

That's only a temporary blip.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X