• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am not cut out to be a contractor!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently client say they will come back with a decision about perm offer this afternoon. Other company have raised their holidays to 25 days with a 60k salary.

The agent was saying they have a bonus but do not like to talk about it as part of the offer package as it is not guaranteed. Anyone ever heard of that before?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      Currently client say they will come back with a decision about perm offer this afternoon. Other company have raised their holidays to 25 days with a 60k salary.

The agent was saying they have a bonus but do not like to talk about it as part of the offer package as it is not guaranteed. Anyone ever heard of that before?
      Ask:

How much of the bonus is company (or team) and how much individual based?

What was the company based bonus over last three years?
      What % of individuals got individual based bonus?
      What was the median bonus for individuals that did get individual bonus?

If they won't answer, assume you'll get zero.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        Ask:

He said that they won't give the information out as they do not want to sell the role based on the bonus as it is not guaranteed ... hence my BS radar is firing up ... but it is not as if I won't ask when I get there and, if he is lying, tell the client - so it seems an odd thing to lie about.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          He said that they won't give the information out as they do not want to sell the role based on the bonus as it is not guaranteed ... hence my BS radar is firing up ... but it is not as if I won't ask when I get there and, if he is lying, tell the client - so it seems an odd thing to lie about.
          They're flipping idiots aren't they. Explain to him that you are an intelligent adult and you are well aware of the uncertain nature of bonuses, but you'd like to know what the potential bonus available is, and in what circumstances it is awarded.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
            Ask:

+1

used to be personally based I always got it (was a challenge to finish everything sometimes) and it was a substantial part of Salary. a few years ago they made it all EMEA and of course we have never seen it since.

not sure why if they think you are worth £60K you can't understand Bonus is on top of your salary and not guaranteed. Typical management think

do they want to you sell you the job or not?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

All they have said is that it is related to company performance and has been paid out for the passed 3 years.

Other than that I have no idea about any of it!

Comment

Isn't a bonus like, well, a bonus. A guaranteed bonus isn't a bonus, that's called salary. Or is it just me that thinks that way?

My last permie job after finishing a big project I got a bonus of about a month's salary. This was in my final pay packet having resigned and already left the company. So that was good of them.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It was paid out for the last 3 years but wasn't paid out before so they're being a bit cagey.

If they promise a 10% bonus and then don't pay it out, you'll probably leave, so they're asking you to make your decision not based on a bonus. But what they're saying is there might be a bonus. So it is a better offer than an equivalent permie job on 60 grand without a bonus, but not equivalent to a permie job that pays more.

Actually sounds to me like "honest Joe", just putting their cards on the table. By not making any promises and leaving only with the 60 grand to make your decision, means that any bonus will be viewed by you as a bonus. I suspect they're a bit fed up of employees moaning about the bonus, because they see it as a part of their salary, when a bonus should be a viewed as a bonus i.e. something that might or might not be paid out, and therefore to be appreciated when it's paid out.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 June 2014, 11:43.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    If they promise a 10% bonus and then don't pay it out, you'll probably leave, so they're asking you to make your decision not based on a bonus. But what they're saying is there might be a bonus. So it is a better offer than an equivalent permie job on 60 grand without a bonus, but not equivalent to a permie job that pays more.

Actually sounds to me like "honest Joe", just putting their cards on the table,.
                    Yeah this is one possibility that occurred to me but I did not know if I was just being naïve in thinking that!

Comment

So you get the info on history, understand the risk, put a value to the risk adjusted bonus and make a judgment. As it is, I would value the bonus as between £0 and £2,000 p.a.
                      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                      X