• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you take a year off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It depends on your circumstances.

If your other half doesn't work then you're stretching twice as far. I live comfortably on taking out money up to the higher tax bracket - no way could I do that if it was just my income and we had a huge mortgage.
    Yep that's exactly my situation.

If my OH was working as a full time Pharmacist Locum then I'd be able to work 4 months in the year, never mind 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      It depends on your circumstances.
      Indeed - I wonder how many of those who only need to work six months of the year have partners who earn as well.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Indeed - I wonder how many of those who only need to work six months of the year have partners who earn as well.
        If partner worked for the last 4.5 years then I think I'd be looking at retirement in my late 30s. That's the difference between one person working and both working.

Comment

As a follow-up question to the two thirds who can live off six months income - is that because your rate is so high, your outgoings so low, your partner earns enough money or a combination of any of them?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

As a follow-up question to the two thirds who can live off six months income - is that because your rate is so high, your outgoings so low, your partner earns enough money or a combination of any of them?
            If my partner earned, I'd be larfing. Unfortunately she hasn't for the last 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              If my partner earned, I'd be larfing. Unfortunately she hasn't for the last 10 years.
              You're a man with expensive tastes, though
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Renting at the mo so got some cash in the bank. Good rate and wife earns some pin money in public service. When I was benched for a bit I saw that we could live comfortably on 3k a month.

Comment

- Wife works full-time but as a teacher so not a stellar salary - £30k ish.
                  - Though expensive by our standards, living in the north we have a £250k house not a £500k house
                  - No kids
                  - Only one car

In theory I maintain we should be able to live off her salary alone but in practice we could live off her salary and my salary if we scrimp only a bit - all my dividends can be considered surplus.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I can live for a year BECAUSE I don't have a partner
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      I can live for a year BECAUSE I don't have a partner

Is that how you plan to die as well?

Comment

Working...
                      X