• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Birthday Presents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Are you well enough for a party (even a low key one?)

If so, you could point out that "stuff" seems pretty pointless, but if they want to chip in for the party, that would be good.

I went dogging for my 40th - relatively cheap and great fun - our local track (now closed) did a sit down meal for around £25 giving head.

Spending time with people probably means more to you and them.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Help with funeral costs, I hadn't thought of that. It's certainly a practical gift that would take another weight off my mind.
      Buy one online....

Here

Comment

I have suggested this a number of times on 40th and 50th threads but normally to people looking to buy for someone, not the actual birthday boy but here is what I did for my partners 40th who didn't really know what she wanted.

I went round the main players in her life that were asking and worked out that I allocated them a month of the year and they then booked some event in that month involving either just them and us or a group thing. Could be anything as simple as a meal out to a trip away or spa day or more fun like a weekend in Ireland and in Spain (examples of what my other half did). They then gave a 'voucher' inviting them to that do in that month, even if it wasn't booked, just a promise.

Outcome was my partner had over 12 invites to events with family and friends lasting the whole year. Each even had a birthday balloon and badge so was like having 12 intimate parties rather than one big one. She had something to look forward every 3 weeks or so for the year so made it memorable. Having a large family and being a social butterfly it worked a treat for her. Wouldn't have worked for a lazy miserable bastard like me so have to see if it's your cup of tea.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The thing is I do quite fancy a new synth to play with, and a new telescope with a longer focal length, both of which would have a resale value reasonably close to what they cost so I could argue they aren't really "wasted" as my family will be able to monetize them once I'm gone. I think I could get away with asking ms doodab and my folks for something like that, although given the amount of stuff I'm ebaying I could easily buy them myself and avoid the guilt.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I have suggested this a number of times on 40th and 50th threads but normally to people looking to buy for someone, not the actual birthday boy but here is what I did for my partners 40th who didn't really know what she wanted.

I went round the main players in her life that were asking and worked out that I allocated them a month of the year and they then booked some event in that month involving either just them and us or a group thing. Could be anything as simple as a meal out to a trip away or spa day or more fun like a weekend in Ireland and in Spain (examples of what my other half did). They then gave a 'voucher' inviting them to that do in that month, even if it wasn't booked, just a promise.

Outcome was my partner had over 12 invites to events with family and friends lasting the whole year. Each even had a birthday balloon and badge so was like having 12 intimate parties rather than one big one. She had something to look forward every 3 weeks or so for the year so made it memorable. Having a large family and being a social butterfly it worked a treat for her. Wouldn't have worked for a lazy miserable bastard like me so have to see if it's your cup of tea.
            Nice idea. I don't know how well it would work for me as it can be a struggle actually doing stuff sometimes and like I say I'm actually fairly anti-social at heart, I already turn down quite a few invites. I could quite do with some sort of quite retreat somewhere on my jack jones TBH, perhaps organising something like that is an option.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I got a very nice emerald and diamond ring for my 40th - to replace the very cheap engagement ring we bought when we got engaged. I don’t really want 'things' for birthdays anymore, I'd rather go to places and as my birthday is in August and we're usually on holiday we hire a boat and crew and go off on the sea for the day.

But how about a therimin? I got one for Himself and its great fun to learn to play, and is great for creating spooky noises at halloween
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Pogle has it

People want to buy something for you, not something 'worthy'. As you point out you may live for quite some time, so ask for something fun.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

How about a titcam? Ours gives us lots of pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    How about a titcam? Ours gives us lots of pleasure.
                    Maybe. I do enjoy photography, actually got myself a new macro lens and proper flash for crimbo (before I knew I was ill). I should get out with it a bit more, I've hardly used it.

Comment

Working...
                    X