• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Royal mail and the fall from something resembling a service.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dad's getting his mail redirected to me for a couple of months, so I can tell you that yes they do redirect things, judging by the amount of junk I now get.

Talking of the EU, the reason for the above is he's moved to France. I've been quite surprised it isn't much easier to send things to France: now that we're all part of the caring, sharing EU with free trade and free movement of labour I really expected to be able to send something to France with a normal UK stamp. But no, not only does it cost more, it seems I have to go to the Post Office each time to weigh whatever I'm sending. So far it's varied from 80p to £2.50, just for forwarding the stuff that he does want.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      My Dad's getting his mail redirected to me for a couple of months, so I can tell you that yes they do redirect things, judging by the amount of junk I now get.

Talking of the EU, the reason for the above is he's moved to France. I've been quite surprised it isn't much easier to send things to France: now that we're all part of the caring, sharing EU with free trade and free movement of labour I really expected to be able to send something to France with a normal UK stamp. But no, not only does it cost more, it seems I have to go to the Post Office each time to weigh whatever I'm sending. So far it's varied from 80p to £2.50, just for forwarding the stuff that he does want.
      That wouldn't be a problem.if the EU really were a superstate like the US
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        That wouldn't be a problem.if the EU really were a superstate like the US
        One day. One day. Antoine for president.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

A couple of considerations:

1) How do you know the call centre idiot was based in UK? Do you know there is such a thing as forward call redirection? It could be everywhere on the planet (and no, the EU has nothing do with RM being shit)

2) If it is of any consolation the now privatized Dutch postal service is a total joke.
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
            Oh, don't get me started.

I can't get over how they've made the once painless act of posting a letter so complicated. I've had several items not reach their intended recipients without them having to take a trip to their local office where the item is being held owing to my having neglected to have put on enough stamps.

Here's how it used to work. Anything you posted in an envelope was deemed to be a letter and, so long as its weight wasn't greater than a lump of lead of equivalent size you stuck on a first class stamp and popped it in the post.

Now there are letters and large letters, different weight limits and a whole scale of different charges. And if your letter is too thick they call it a parcel and you have to pay even more. HTF you're supposed to measure the thickness of a letter without a pair of calipers us beyond me. Similarly, the weights they specify are so small you need to borrow you local dealer's scales to make sure you're within the limits.

You know what? I just say f**k it and stick 2 first class stamps on just to make sure. Which is probably part of their business plan
            They have "if it fits through this hole it's a letter" templates for people too stupid to grasp simple concepts.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Postman Pat, Postman Pat
              Postman Pat and his unionised cat,
              Early in the morning,
              They're still in bed a-snoring,
              And I'm wondering where's my post you ............. Pratt?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post

2) If it is of any consolation the now privatized Dutch postal service is a total joke.
                Expanding in the UK shortly.

They deliver mail slower than a Royal Mail postie and they have less mail to deliver.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Postman Pat, Postman Pat
                  Postman Pat and his unionised cat,
                  Early in the morning,
                  They're still in bed a-snoring,
                  And I'm wondering where's my post you ............. Pratt?
                  Actually completely unfair.

They are up in the morning.

The fact that you get your post at some random time between 7am and 4pm is thanks to a management decision to make the Royal Mail more efficient.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    The fact that you get your post at some random time between 7am and 4pm is thanks to a management decision to make the Royal Mail more efficient.
                    The post is here....

Comment

I would like to opt out of the entire UK postal system, I get everything I need sent paperless or courier delivered so what comes through the door is just a collection of complete tulipe.

Does everyone else not with BT broadband get a letter advertising its deals abut twice a month? Rips my fookin' knickers that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X