• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home extensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spoke to a firm of builders who put me in touch with someone who works in the planning dept of the council.
    He drew up the plans and we made a few changes over a couple of weeks and then finally submitted them. We now have permission granted for a two floor side extension and loft conversion.
    We can now get quotes from builders as they all advise that without plans they cant give an accurate quote.
    Getting planning permission was no where near as expensive as I was expecting it to be.
    Last edited by Pogle; 28 August 2014, 09:08. Reason: clarity
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      I spoke to a firm of builders who put me in touch with someone who works in the planning dept of the council.
      He drew up the plans and we made a few changes over a couple of weeks and then finally submitted them. We now have permission granted for a two floor side extension and loft conversion.
      We can now get quotes from builders as they all advise that without plans they cant give an accurate quote.
      It was no where near as expensive as I was expecting it to be.
      the person working at the council created the plans?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        the person working at the council created the plans?
        I've just had plans for another detached garage draw up by someone that works in my local planning dept. It seems quite a lot of them do it on the side (as a legitimate business), certainly in the technical depts where they review the plans etc.

For things like simple extensions, garages and where you generally know what you want etc you don't necessarily need an architect, you just need someone who can do all the technical drawings\specifications to current regulations.

Mine has charged £600 and handles all the planning application process as well (Planning application fee (£172) + structural calcs for the beams are extra)

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
          I've just had plans for another detached garage draw up by someone that works in my local planning dept. It seems quite a lot of them do it on the side (as a legitimate business), certainly in the technical depts where they review the plans etc.

For things like simple extensions, garages and where you generally know what you want etc you don't necessarily need an architect, you just need someone who can do all the technical drawings\specifications to current regulations.

Mine has charged £600 and handles all the planning application process as well (Planning application fee (£172) + structural calcs for the beams are extra)
          They really should not be doing work on any plans in the area of the local authority they are working in.

If your neighbor was to object and permission was given he would have a valid conflect of interest complaint to the local authority ombudsman who would have no choice but to find for them. And that would scupper your entire planning permission....

10 years ago there was no chance anyone would do that sort of outside work within the authority they work for... Things clearly have changed since my wife was a planner..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Sorry should have added that they don't have any input into any applications that they have had a hand in.
            Any which land on their desk are passed to a colleague to deal with otherwise as you said there would be a blatant conflict of interests.

Comment

Working...
            X