• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home extensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I am currently thinking of extending to the side and rear of my property.

Please can I have an idea of how much it costs to get an architect in for working out the design.

Thanks
    That depends very much on the architect. Find extensions you like locally and ask them who they used..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      That depends very much on the architect. Find extensions you like locally and ask them who they used..
      Also to add to that if they aren't willing or happy to you to have a good look at the extension DO NOT use them.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Great thread for me, because I am toying with the idea of adding a first floor to a ground floor only extension.

I know it's fairly ridiculous to expect anyone to be able to estimate anything like an accurate price without seeing the place, but if one had a ground floor only section about 60 feet long and 30 feet wide, and assuming this was structurally sound and didn't need much alteration, very roughly (to the nearest £50K) what would the likely cost be to add a first floor on top, with a tiled roof joined to the rest of the two-storey building?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This is a good website for general type costs, includes location in the country weighting too!

Comment

Thanks sue, eek,

I have checked with a couple of houses round my area which they have given me their builder and architect's details though I did not ask the architect fees just in case they find that invasive.

A neighbor 2 doors down from just finished his and the diagrams for his on the planing website does look impressive so might give him a try.

cheers

Comment

I am dealing with Architects at the moment and my advice would be get them all in for a chat. Don't pick one guy just because he looks good. Some will go through pre-planning application with you first, some will charge you for this, some will take a loss leader on it. One guy estimated a garage would cost £60k and the rest laughed at him. He was one of the people recommended to me as well..

Speak to them all before making a choice.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I am dealing with Architects at the moment and my advice would be get them all in for a chat. Don't pick one guy just because he looks good. Some will go through pre-planning application with you first, some will charge you for this, some will take a loss leader on it. One guy estimated a garage would cost £60k and the rest laughed at him. He was one of the people recommended to me as well..

Speak to them all before making a choice.
                Saying that, **** the lot of them. I just seen the one I want!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                  This is a good website for general type costs, includes location in the country weighting too!
                  Got some good honest advice on that site...

If you don’t have a crossover and simply drive over the pavement to park on your property, you are acting illegally and anyone is within their rights to park across you exit route.

Of course if you are 6’5” and an aggressive son of a female dog, other rules may apply!

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                    Please can I have an idea of how much it costs to get an architect in for working out the design.
                    £500 to £5000

Depending on the architect, if you are using a “firm” or just a local bod, how much you want them to do: is it just deign or do you want them as Contract Administrator
                    Don’t forget that you may need a structural engineer to “prove” the design which is an extra cost.

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    would the likely cost be to add a first floor on top, with a tiled roof joined to the rest of the two-storey building?
                    Your first question will be what are your foundations like? An invasive survey will be needed as I doubt you have full drawings, a ground survey & desktop geotechnical report will be needed.

If (unlikely) the foundations are there they can just build up on the existing, or it may be a case of a piles / steel frame & then go from there.

A lot depends on the detail, are you looking for cheap & cheerful or nice local products?

As it’s an extension, planning will normally require you to match existing in appearance.

It’s a bit of "how long is a piece of string" but my “educated” guess would be:

Ground works: £10-£20k
                    External fabric: £20-£30k
                    Roof (cheap tiles & truss frame): £15-£25k
                    M&E (basic): £10k
                    Internal fit out (average): £10K
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

I chose not to involve an architect in planning (figured they will just sub out to various parties )

I paid £450 (inc) to a Chartered Structural Engineer to do the calcs and drawings for supporting beams to enable half rear wall and side gable to be removed for an extension

Costs for the beams (supply & fit has just come back @ 3.3k + waiting for other quotes)
                      Once the Beams are in and BC are satisfied then the actual extension and build is pretty straight forward so can PM it myself - i.e. engage bricky / roofing teams

May buy a digger to do the foundations myself though
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X