• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Home extensions

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home extensions"

Collapse

• Fandango
    replied
    Sorry should have added that they don't have any input into any applications that they have had a hand in.
    Any which land on their desk are passed to a colleague to deal with otherwise as you said there would be a blatant conflict of interests.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Fandango View Post
    I've just had plans for another detached garage draw up by someone that works in my local planning dept. It seems quite a lot of them do it on the side (as a legitimate business), certainly in the technical depts where they review the plans etc.

For things like simple extensions, garages and where you generally know what you want etc you don't necessarily need an architect, you just need someone who can do all the technical drawings\specifications to current regulations.

Mine has charged £600 and handles all the planning application process as well (Planning application fee (£172) + structural calcs for the beams are extra)
    They really should not be doing work on any plans in the area of the local authority they are working in.

If your neighbor was to object and permission was given he would have a valid conflect of interest complaint to the local authority ombudsman who would have no choice but to find for them. And that would scupper your entire planning permission....

10 years ago there was no chance anyone would do that sort of outside work within the authority they work for... Things clearly have changed since my wife was a planner..

Leave a comment:

• Fandango
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    the person working at the council created the plans?
    I've just had plans for another detached garage draw up by someone that works in my local planning dept. It seems quite a lot of them do it on the side (as a legitimate business), certainly in the technical depts where they review the plans etc.

For things like simple extensions, garages and where you generally know what you want etc you don't necessarily need an architect, you just need someone who can do all the technical drawings\specifications to current regulations.

Mine has charged £600 and handles all the planning application process as well (Planning application fee (£172) + structural calcs for the beams are extra)

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I spoke to a firm of builders who put me in touch with someone who works in the planning dept of the council.
    He drew up the plans and we made a few changes over a couple of weeks and then finally submitted them. We now have permission granted for a two floor side extension and loft conversion.
    We can now get quotes from builders as they all advise that without plans they cant give an accurate quote.
    It was no where near as expensive as I was expecting it to be.
    the person working at the council created the plans?

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I spoke to a firm of builders who put me in touch with someone who works in the planning dept of the council.
    He drew up the plans and we made a few changes over a couple of weeks and then finally submitted them. We now have permission granted for a two floor side extension and loft conversion.
    We can now get quotes from builders as they all advise that without plans they cant give an accurate quote.
    Getting planning permission was no where near as expensive as I was expecting it to be.
    Last edited by Pogle; 28 August 2014, 09:08. Reason: clarity

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I chose not to involve an architect in planning (figured they will just sub out to various parties )

I paid £450 (inc) to a Chartered Structural Engineer to do the calcs and drawings for supporting beams to enable half rear wall and side gable to be removed for an extension

Costs for the beams (supply & fit has just come back @ 3.3k + waiting for other quotes)
    Once the Beams are in and BC are satisfied then the actual extension and build is pretty straight forward so can PM it myself - i.e. engage bricky / roofing teams

May buy a digger to do the foundations myself though

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Please can I have an idea of how much it costs to get an architect in for working out the design.
    £500 to £5000

Depending on the architect, if you are using a “firm” or just a local bod, how much you want them to do: is it just deign or do you want them as Contract Administrator
    Don’t forget that you may need a structural engineer to “prove” the design which is an extra cost.

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    would the likely cost be to add a first floor on top, with a tiled roof joined to the rest of the two-storey building?
    Your first question will be what are your foundations like? An invasive survey will be needed as I doubt you have full drawings, a ground survey & desktop geotechnical report will be needed.

If (unlikely) the foundations are there they can just build up on the existing, or it may be a case of a piles / steel frame & then go from there.

A lot depends on the detail, are you looking for cheap & cheerful or nice local products?

As it’s an extension, planning will normally require you to match existing in appearance.

It’s a bit of "how long is a piece of string" but my “educated” guess would be:

Ground works: £10-£20k
    External fabric: £20-£30k
    Roof (cheap tiles & truss frame): £15-£25k
    M&E (basic): £10k
    Internal fit out (average): £10K

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    This is a good website for general type costs, includes location in the country weighting too!
    Got some good honest advice on that site...

If you don’t have a crossover and simply drive over the pavement to park on your property, you are acting illegally and anyone is within their rights to park across you exit route.

Of course if you are 6’5” and an aggressive son of a female dog, other rules may apply!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I am dealing with Architects at the moment and my advice would be get them all in for a chat. Don't pick one guy just because he looks good. Some will go through pre-planning application with you first, some will charge you for this, some will take a loss leader on it. One guy estimated a garage would cost £60k and the rest laughed at him. He was one of the people recommended to me as well..

Speak to them all before making a choice.
    Saying that, **** the lot of them. I just seen the one I want!!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I am dealing with Architects at the moment and my advice would be get them all in for a chat. Don't pick one guy just because he looks good. Some will go through pre-planning application with you first, some will charge you for this, some will take a loss leader on it. One guy estimated a garage would cost £60k and the rest laughed at him. He was one of the people recommended to me as well..

Speak to them all before making a choice.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Thanks sue, eek,

I have checked with a couple of houses round my area which they have given me their builder and architect's details though I did not ask the architect fees just in case they find that invasive.

A neighbor 2 doors down from just finished his and the diagrams for his on the planing website does look impressive so might give him a try.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    This is a good website for general type costs, includes location in the country weighting too!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Great thread for me, because I am toying with the idea of adding a first floor to a ground floor only extension.

I know it's fairly ridiculous to expect anyone to be able to estimate anything like an accurate price without seeing the place, but if one had a ground floor only section about 60 feet long and 30 feet wide, and assuming this was structurally sound and didn't need much alteration, very roughly (to the nearest £50K) what would the likely cost be to add a first floor on top, with a tiled roof joined to the rest of the two-storey building?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    That depends very much on the architect. Find extensions you like locally and ask them who they used..
    Also to add to that if they aren't willing or happy to you to have a good look at the extension DO NOT use them.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I am currently thinking of extending to the side and rear of my property.

Please can I have an idea of how much it costs to get an architect in for working out the design.

Thanks
    That depends very much on the architect. Find extensions you like locally and ask them who they used..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X