• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comin' over 'ere, nickin' our weather!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    another good point DA.

Two in one day.

What happens is this - the glaciers started to melt at the end of the last ice age, causing sea levels to rise. When that stopped the land continued to rebound. So when seal levels are measured, an ajdustment is made, to take into account this rebound. 0.3mm per year is added.

when the eco loonies talk about sea levels, they dont realise they are actually talking about volume
    And if they are rising how much is due to human activity?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

One thing we can be sure about: there's certainly an infestation of plankton.
      Although I can't claim that's due to global warming - possibly the infestation was always there.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

RealClimate: Is Sea-Level Rise Accelerating?
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          my understanding is that the sea level rise is 1.7 mm per year, and is not accelerating.

some of that, at least .3mm is an adjustment. i.e. someone just made it up

as we come out of an ice age, we would expect sea levels to rise, which they are. If any of that rise were due to co2, we would expect to see a change as co2 ramps up. but we dont.

except in models and some fevered imaginations.

all the dire predictions, like tuvalu being submerged and millions of climate refugees have already been falsified
          Last edited by EternalOptimist; 1 April 2014, 13:35.
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What I'm missing in this thread is nonsense about immigration, seeing as I expressly selected the original story for combining two of the favourite subjects for people to rant about without actually knowing much about the subject.

British academic, speaking at launch of IPCC climate change report, warns that UK should brace itself for an increase in 'climate change refugees'
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

the British Isles will be among the few island oases in a world given over to desert, scrub and oceans devoid of life: "Everybody in Europe will be wanting to come here." Even people who live in currently delightful spots such as Cap d'Antibes and Siena. They aren't going to like Milton Keynes or Cumbernauld one bit.
              James Lovelock,everyone's favourite slightly dotty maverick scientist and inventor of the Gaia hypothesis. Though that's from 2007, I believe he has moderated his views a little in recent times.

Stuart Jeffries meets renowned scientist James Lovelock | Environment | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Displacement, There are now more and much heavier ships in the sea, displacement occurs when an object is immersed in a fluid, pushing it out of the way and taking its place
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  What I'm missing in this thread is nonsense about immigration, seeing as I expressly selected the original story for combining two of the favourite subjects for people to rant about without actually knowing much about the subject.
                  ermahgerd immigrants!

Well I was a bit sceptical about climate change but now I've heard it'll mean lots of immigrants coming over well its time to get off the fence. Can we please double the fuel bills and triple the carbon tax?

Thanks. Phew. That was a close one.

Next week increased levels of co2 in the atmosphere will mean the return of the dinosaurs.

ermahgerd velociraptors!

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Displacement, There are now more and much heavier ships in the sea, displacement occurs when an object is immersed in a fluid, pushing it out of the way and taking its place
                    Don't forget more people than ever before who all go for a piss a few times a day!
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ships no, but apparently the volume of water behind the world's dams and reservoirs has a measurable effect on sea level. Counter-intuitive, but true, new builds since 1930 have prevented 3cm of SLR.

Comment

Working...
                      X