• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is BBC racist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    An term, which by use/misuse has become derogatory is racist. I don't understand how you think paki isn't racist.
    Pakistan

Scotland

therefore Scot is a racist term?

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Usual fuss over nothing. Would anyone care about such general remarks about the white British made by a foreign presenter? Can't imagine that nobody abroad doesn't make them.

Racist remarks made to an individual are a very different thing.
      I disagree. It's been long, slow progress to where we are today in terms of viewing all races as equal. Flippant remarks like Clarkson's aren't acceptable. By pulling up those who do make them, you're sending a message that it ain't on. By ignoring it, you're saying it's fine. Not sure it's a million quid's worth, but he should apologise, and most importantly, put a lid on it and stop thinking it's funny to try and offend. Remarks about the Brits don't generally offend as we've historically held power. We're lucky enough to be in a position to be able to laugh it off.

Comment

Remarks about the Brits don't generally offend as we've historically held power
        Not sure I follow that one MS. Are you saying we somehow have empire ingrained in our psyche? Pretty sure I don't.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
          Pakistan

Scotland

therefore Scot is a racist term?

I would be nice if the term could be reclaimed to simply be an abbreviation for a Pakistani, but the history of 'paki-bashing' is still quite recent.

Comment

Not sure I follow that one MS. Are you saying we somehow have empire ingrained in our psyche? Pretty sure I don't.
            No, but we've no reason to feel sensitive to words such as Pom, Limey etc.

Comment

Would it help to say she's a whinging bint who is only doing this for publicity because she is a crap actress that nobody has ever heard of?
              Last edited by RetSet; 30 March 2014, 21:03.

Comment

I would be nice if the term could be reclaimed to simply be an abbreviation for a Pakistani, but the history of 'paki-bashing' is still quite recent.
                Surely it would be the 'bashing' part that would be considered to be unacceptable ?

That's what's wrong with this poxy country. It would appear to be perfectly acceptable to kick the tulip out of someone as long as you don't mix it with potentially racist abbreviations or terminology
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

My cousins - who had nothing to do with the empire - often go on about how "We ruled you." Referring to Canada. Not sure if they were referring to the royal twat "we" or just "all of us Brits ruled you".
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

It's not a racist remark it was a jibe at Political Correctness, like all his remarks.

Personally I didn't see a slope but I do see a chink.....a chink of light between the two halves of the bridge.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

An term, which by use/misuse has become derogatory is racist. I don't understand how you think paki isn't racist.
                      No, it's not racist - it's a derogatory remark (if used with that intent). Racism is the belief that people of a particular race are superior/inferior/whatever by virtue of nothing more than their race (and in this context we're really using the word 'race' to delineate a particular genetic heritage).

Saying 'I hate Pakis' is NOT racist, although it's a very sweeping generalisation.
                      Saying 'Brown people are stupid' is.

You might argue that the word racist has come to mean something different in common parlance recently, but used in that way 'racist' is just a synonym for lots of other words which are much more tolerable. The idea that it's worse to hold those views when the subject is someone with different colour skin is entirely arbitrary (It's fine to say 'i don't like chavs', but not to say 'i don't like pakistanis' ?), and i think generally we've got the self-loathing busy-bodies to thank for that corruption.

And shortening Pakistani to Paki is not derogatory. The derogatory intent would only be discernible form the tone in which the word was spoken - otherwise the have a very long and well established history or non-derogatory short names such as Brit, Aussie, Pol(e)?, Scot, etc etc.

Sand-****** is derogatory by definition. There's a difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X