• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banks still giving away free money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I guess you could buy something on CC e.g. a car and then transfer it to Nationwide - that's free money when you take into account inflation.
    It's more than likely you will get charged 5% for using a credit card. The seller will get charged that by Visa so he isn't going to swallow it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      I guess you could buy something on CC e.g. a car and then transfer it to Nationwide - that's free money when you take into account inflation.
      Fair point, if you have another card with the spare capacity this would be cheaper than opening a CC to take all the money out as a loan.
      More risky though, in case you suddenly find you can't get approved for the new CC after putting 10k on one which isn't 0%
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Fair point, if you have another card with the spare capacity this would be cheaper than opening a CC to take all the money out as a loan.
        More risky though, in case you suddenly find you can't get approved for the new CC after putting 10k on one which isn't 0%
        The sensible approach would be to wait for the 0% balance transfer one to be approved before spending the money on the other card.

If you have several cards it's a useful trick for managing cashflow. When I moved back to the UK from Germany I was fairly skint so I put almost all of my spending on a CC and transferred it to another 0% one. It cost the 3% transfer fee or whatever but that enabled me to stockpile cash for the warchest very quickly.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's more than likely you will get charged 5% for using a credit card. The seller will get charged that by Visa so he isn't going to swallow it.
          I bought my car on my credit card and didn't get charged any extra. Even worse for the seller, I did it in 3 separate transactions - deposit followed by the balance in 2 halves, clearing the card off in between each payment. The only reason I did that was because I wanted the rewards from the spend on the credit card, rather than just handing cash over / doing a bank transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Hmm. Other than councils and online booking fees, the only places I see charging a premium for CC payments are crappy shops like £-stretcher. Is that where you do all your shopping NL?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
            X