• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Interests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I got interviewed for a Test Manager role, and got the job, thanks to having put my brief stint at a first division rugby club on my CV. Apparently the hiring manager wanted someone who was 'not easily intimidated' by senior managers.

It worked and I invoiced thereby fulfilling the golden rule of contracting.
    In fairness, I'd say that's a little more than a "hobby" at that point. Me competing in silly running/endurance competitions is a hobby, but I'd sure as hell be putting it on there if I'd come close to being a pro athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      In fairness, I'd say that's a little more than a "hobby" at that point. Me competing in silly running/endurance competitions is a hobby, but I'd sure as hell be putting it on there if I'd come close to being a pro athlete.
      I guess that is a difference. I put things on there because they show I can achieve things etc.
      I do not put the fact I like running Cthulhu games or things like that on there!
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

best one I saw was the one who put his interests as 'I am a Jehovah's witness with my own ministry'.

I think sport or similar do provide good small talk at an interview and look better than 'I like going to the pub'.

I always found being a youth leader started a good discussion.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I no longer put anything as I was told that 'Dwarf Buggering' and 'Glass Topped Coffee Tables' are not hobbies but a lifestyle choice...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I used to have my hobby (collecting handguns) on my CV but had to take it off after Dunblane.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I put CUK on under addictions.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                WTMS.

Ah, a fellow shootist....

Still got my shotties and thinking about a FAC application for a rimmy at the moment but the PC brigade don't seem to like 'shooting things' as a hobby on a CV
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  So do any of you lot have interests on your CV? ...
                  Can't remember now, as I haven't looked at my CV for three years, which is the time I've been with my current clientco.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Can't remember now, as I haven't looked at my CV for three years, which is the time I've been with my current clientco.
                    Really? I update mine every few months!
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                      Ah, a fellow shootist....

Still got my shotties and thinking about a FAC application for a rimmy at the moment but the PC brigade don't seem to like 'shooting things' as a hobby on a CV
                      4 shotguns, a .22 lr, a .243 and a .270
                      I've shot since I was a nipper.
                      But certainly not on my CV!
                      Last edited by GlenW; 25 February 2014, 16:36.
                      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                      X