• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thoughts on 'not cost effective to have you in next week'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Email them saying you will be back in 3 weeks. Go on holiday.
    Oh - I like it! (I'd only go on 2, but that's just preference...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

This is just as bad as the other thread where the contractor wanted to terminate early to go for a juicier contract. Except this time its the client doing the jerking

Some guys rent a pad for the duration of a contract, I have done long term block-hotel bookings in the past, plus you might have had a holiday organised for the official end of the contract.

Imo they have busted the deal, start looking asap but dont bother telling them you would have appreciated more warning, where is that going to get you ?
      Switch into 'fck em and screw em mode' until you can bail
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Some guys rent a pad for the duration of a contract, I have done long term block-hotel bookings in the past, plus you might have had a holiday organised for the official end of the contract.
        Have had this. Rented a flat for a week cos client wanted me to work night shifts (better to sleep during day than hotel). Sorted out with owner to check in 9am after first night shift, leave before start of last night shift etc.

Day before - "we've decided we don't need nights now". Client couldnt see what they'd done wrong. Their attitude, tough we pay you enough to tell you what we need from you. You just turn up.

Worse still was the guy who showed up for nights at 8 pm and they'd left a mesage with security to tell him thanks but please go home. **** that.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

You can push for some work to do I guess. Otherwise spend a week learning something new or go on an impromptu last-minute holiday deal?

It is totally normal, if uncommon, for a client to do this provided your contract allows it. Most clients don't seem to be aware they can do this so in a way it says they better understand contractors than is typical!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
          X