• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU corruption "equivalent to the bloc's annual budget"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Whereas if you vote for the tories you get a slighter less left wing party, some choice
    Better than Ed 'we'll control world energy prices' Miliband and Ed 'we didn't spend enough last time' Balls.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      Why should we be a minority in the EU parliament when we can be a majority in our own?

They can't even get into parliament in the UK, never mind form a majority.

They are a minority because they represent a minority viewpoint. In a democracy the best they can hope for is to temper what they see as the excesses of the majority, which they aren't going to do by not participating in the process.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Better than Ed 'we'll control world energy prices' Miliband and Ed 'we didn't spend enough last time' Balls.
        Two Eds are better than one

While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

They can't even get into parliament in the UK, never mind form a majority.

They are a minority because they represent a minority viewpoint. In a democracy the best they can hope for is to temper what they see as the excesses of the majority, which they aren't going to do by not participating in the process.
          The last UK election was 4 years ago - UKIP have grown massively since then. So it isn't right to say they're a minority party.
          Not to mention the fact that the first-past-the-post system means only local vote-majority winners get ANY representation in parliament.

Two Eds are better than one

Very witty

Comment

The last UK election was 4 years ago - UKIP have grown massively since then. So it isn't right to say they're a minority party.
            Not to mention the fact that the first-past-the-post system means only local vote-majority winners get ANY representation in parliament.
            Given that even the government of the day isn't formed from a majority party I think it's perfectly correct to say they are a minority party. They certainly aren't a majority are they?

Comment

Given that even the government of the day isn't formed from a majority party I think it's perfectly correct to say they are a minority party. They certainly aren't a majority are they?
              They soon will be

Comment

Would you like to move to PR?

I live in a country with a PR electoral system, and I've come to prefer the British constituency system for the following reasons;
                - local MPs representing local feelings on locally relevant issues
                - local MPs accessible to the public via surgery instead of simply functioning as voting cattle in the PR system
                - first past the post helps to keep extremist loons out of parliament. OK, there are a few loons in the Westminster parliament, but you don't have commies calling out for national earnings caps of 5000 euros a month (like the Dutch SP have done before, no sorry it was 5000 guilders, which ain't much) and you don't have loonies calling for all the muslims to be deported from Europe. The current system in the UK has a moderating effect.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Would you like to move to PR?

I live in a country with a PR electoral system, and I've come to prefer the British constituency system for the following reasons;
                  - local MPs representing local feelings on locally relevant issues
                  - local MPs accessible to the public via surgery instead of simply functioning as voting cattle in the PR system
                  - first past the post helps to keep extremist loons out of parliament. OK, there are a few loons in the Westminster parliament, but you don't have commies calling out for national earnings caps of 5000 euros a month (like the Dutch SP have done before, no sorry it was 5000 guilders, which ain't much) and you don't have loonies calling for all the muslims to be deported from Europe. The current system in the UK has a moderating effect.
                  There have been many times throughout history when the views of those labelled "extremist" have been found to be correct. So giving them a voice proportionate to their (minor) voter support is a good thing I think. We should have just one MP from the official monster raving loony party. And one from the unofficial one
                  Don't forget that the extremist views of one MP will be balanced by the opposite extremist views of another.

I agree with what you say about local issues. Perhaps a certain proportion of MP roles should be given to leaders of local councils spending time in Westminster part time? i.e. a hybrid of first past the post, and PR.

Comment

UKIP currently at 11 or 12%

http://http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

and that's in several polls from several polling companies.

I'd rate their chances of getting an MP at the next election as very close to nil.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

UKIP are a single issue party. Nobody would actually want them in charge of the economy, NHS, schools, war etc, it's only about a protest on the one issue. It's ridiculous to suggest they have any kind of chance.

From what I know of coalition politics (watching Borgen), it always ends with the extremists having much more power than their level of public support warrants, because the moderates end up having to do deals to get their extremist coalition partners to vote with them. I used to be in favour of PR, but I've changed my mind (plus it would mean permanent Lib Dem government).
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X